• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: JABB Demos - Sonar and MIDI files

Share/Bookmark

Re: JABB Demos - Sonar and MIDI files

Hi Tom,

You need to edit the CWP files in a binary editor I used Microsoft Visual C++ but it must be a binary editor not a text editor.

On the text side of the editor display the character sequence I found in for example:

HopkinsPsychosisInTrumpetsvillePost.cwp was: GNBbGARRIT~2....Garritan JazzVST

The periods "...." represent 4 hex values which aren't displayed on the text side of the editor,
    the character sequence I found in

GLindsay1a.cwp was: GNBbGARRIT~1....Garritan JazzVST

Remember the GLindsay1a.cwp loaded on my system as downloaded without a hitch,
    so I simply changed the "GARRIT~2" to "GARRIT~1" at all occurrences where they appeared in each of the demo CWP's and renamed the cwp with " T" suffix
    The 8 character GARRIT~2, looks like an MS-DOS file name to me which happens to be GARRIT~1 on my system so I'm not sure if you can guarantee it will work on all systems. I suspect that you might have 2 Garritan...dll's VST's in the same folder, for example:

Garritan Ambience.dll and Garritan JazzVST.dll

where the Ambience dll was copied into the folder first and thus was assigned as ~1 and the JazzVST dll copied second and thus assigned as ~2.

These are the only 2 Garritan...dll's VST's I have on my system so with any luck the JazzVST can only be ~1 or ~2 at worst.

So if everyone copies & keeps the Garritan JazzVST.dll in it's own separate folder or makes sure it's the only Garritan ...dll first copied into a folder, including the system where the CWP is created, then everyone should be able to load all instances of the VST, but honestly I'm not sure as I'm far from an expert in these things... I just occasionally ferret around.

Regards,
    Tez

When I open Chuck Israels – Margot's Mood file (CIsraelsMargotsMoodPost.cwp) Sonar looks for some WAV files:
    Example 21 - 7 (9), Garritan JazzVST 1 Garritan J, Mix (14).wav
    Example 21 - 7 (9), Garritan JazzVST 1 Garritan J, Mix (15).wav
    Example 21 - 7 (9), Garritan JazzVST 1 Garritan J, Mix (16).wav
    Example 21 - 7 (9), Garritan JazzVST 1 Garritan J, Mix (17).wav
    They seem to be bounces within Sonar but are not present. Can you include a bundle Sonar file with these files included?
    Thanks,
    Serge

Quote Originally Posted by sergiobklyn
    They seem to be bounces within Sonar but are not present. Can you include a bundle Sonar file with these files included?
    Thanks,
    Serge
    They are just left-over links to tracks I froze while I was working. They aren't required; ignore them. If your computer is fast enough you can run the MIDI tracks without freezing or, if it's not fast enough, you can freeze your own.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    No, this is entirely up to Cakewalk. No one would like to see it fixed more than me!

Tom
    I'm happy to report that this problems seems to be fixed in Sonar 6. I managed to open all files (including the ones posted by TEZ). I just had to point to the JABB library location (mine aren't on the default directory).
    Serge

Quote Originally Posted by sergiobklyn
    I'm happy to report that this problems seems to be fixed in Sonar 6. I managed to open all files (including the ones posted by TEZ). I just had to point to the JABB library location (mine aren't on the default directory).
    Serge
    That would be great news if everyone has the same experience!

Tom

Thumbs up Re: JABB Demos - Sonar and MIDI files

Quote Originally Posted by TEZ
    On the text side of the editor display the character sequence I found in for example:

HopkinsPsychosisInTrumpetsvillePost.cwp was: GNBbGARRIT~2....Garritan JazzVST

The periods "...." represent 4 hex values which aren't displayed on the text side of the editor,
    the character sequence I found in

GLindsay1a.cwp was: GNBbGARRIT~1....Garritan JazzVST
    I could not get either Tom's or TEZ's to work, so i created a rough file from a template and opened it up in Visual C++. Interestingly, mine were saved as "GNBbGARRIT~3....Garritan JazzVST." I guess this is due to the fact that I have two instances of the Ambience VST. But, thanks for the fix tip, TEZ!

Tom,
    These Sonar files are pretty amazing! I am not currently using Sonar to produce my audio data. But, I am sure that you have your reasons. Is there a tutorial on setup in Sonar? I have read some of the tutorials on the Garritan site that use Sonar, but I was never able to get any audio output. I now see that you are creating audio tracks with a DXi synth as an input instead of an actual audio input. But, I am unsure of the purpose of some of the other tracks (aside from standard MIDI input). Could you or anyone else point me in the right direction? My methods are working okay right now, but I'd like to give Sonar a stab.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldyaeger
    Is there a tutorial on setup in Sonar?
    The Sonar manual contains several tutorials that cover the basics of setup and function. Be sure to work through all of them. For that matter, be sure that you have read the entire Sonar manual. Just like with our products it is essential to take the time to read all written material or, chances are, things won't work right for you.
    I have read some of the tutorials on the Garritan site that use Sonar, but I was never able to get any audio output.
    There are many possibilities for something as fundamental as no audio output. If the problem persists after you have covered all of the Cakewalk material, or the problem only applies to JABB, then let us know specifically what is happening and we will try solve it. Cakewalk also has a troubleshooting section in their manual that you may find helpful.
    I now see that you are creating audio tracks with a DXi synth as an input instead of an actual audio input.
    I never use DXi, always VSTi. There are problems with the DXi support in Sonar (or have been through Sonar5 - don't know yet if anything has changed in Sonar6.)
    But, I am unsure of the purpose of some of the other tracks (aside from standard MIDI input).
    In addition to the MIDI tracks there are automation tracks for advanced EQ in some of the demos. This is best ignored until you get all of the basics working - like actually hearing audio! As to JABB/Sonar tutorials: That will come but not until after the release of the K2 version of JABB. All of my tutorials will be produced in Sonar so you will get an "up close and personal" view of things at that time.

Tom

Can any Sonar users out there please post a screen shot of all the midi controllers used? I'm using Logic so there's no way for me to access the .cwp files. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
    Can any Sonar users out there please post a screen shot of all the midi controllers used? I'm using Logic so there's no way for me to access the .cwp files. Thanks.
    I did a conversion project a little over a year ago from Kontakt to Aria. But they were for SONAR. I did post some MIDI only work for Pyschosis. There is a MIDI file and the ARIAX settings for it so you should be able to use it in Logic or any tool for that matter.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I did a conversion project a little over a year ago from Kontakt to Aria. But they were for SONAR. I did post some MIDI only work for Pyschosis. There is a MIDI file and the ARIAX settings for it so you should be able to use it in Logic or any tool for that matter.

Jim
    Thank you so much Jim! I managed to get the info I needed from this. Smiles all around

Go Back to forum