• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: IAIN BALLAMY SAX SOLO: A Garritan Jazz and Big Band Study

Share/Bookmark

Re: IAIN BALLAMY SAX SOLO: A Garritan Jazz and Big Band Study

Amazingly impressive (all of it)!!!

That's joaz: I'm guessing he transcribed them. How about it, Joe?
    Yep...by hand.... one tortuous bar after another. It was very tempting to clean up some of the rather loose timing, but that would have defeated the object of the exercise, So I shifted by hand every single midi hit on every part of the kit, to match up with the original audio. Not an exercise I would recommend, if you want to hang on to your sanity, but kind of fascinating, to see how loose, a real drummer plays.(He played with click track).

Samba also has its own swing, I have read learned papers discussing the amount of rhythmical displacement, that goes on with the first 4 16th notes, of a bar of Samba. But perhaps that stuff is for devotees only.

regards Joe

Ran this by a sax player I know- he thought it was fantastic and very realistic. Congratulations!

Keith Walls

that's wonderful!!!!

I am truly impressed!!
    Mark, outstanding!!!!

All my best,
    Roberto

Very impressive, a lot of good info for a newbie like me. Good arrangement.

Anybody suggest why it didnt sound anywhere near as good when I played the midi file back myself, using JABB and the instruments suggested. Can it be my sound card or is there something else. I realise that the mix is important and added some reverb but still it didn't match the mp3
    Using Cubase 4

I kind of get the same thing as you. I think it may be due to the controllers that are set in the player, like filter level and filter frequency that may not have set them in the midi file. Also check the beats per minute of the clip and try to get it to match the speed of the mp3.

For the trumpet shakes, I had better luck with a different trumpet sample that was shown in the tutorial.

Best of Luck,

Scott

I suspect that you'll have to use the same Tenor Sax instrument to get the same results: there are slight timing discrepancies between each one, depending on strength of attack, preceding airflow, etc.

Actually, I think I did the timing work with Tenor 3, while Joe rendered the final version with Tenor 2: even that revealed some differences.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum