• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Topic: Tom's Trumpet Shakes Tutorial - Part 1

Share/Bookmark

Re: Tom's Trumpet Shakes Tutorial - Part 1

Important note (although it has been mentioned in other threads): We have discovered that the shakes programming is not functioning properly in the latest player. This bug will be addressed in an update, ETA undetermined.

Tom

P.S. Sorry for the tardy response to this thread but I have not been around the forum for some time nor will I be for awhile. I will post an announcement to make this clear.

woaw, thx for great tutorial

Hi Tom. I'm looking forward to getting a lot out of this tutorial, but meanwhile I have a few problems with it -- probably something to do with my set-up.

I've downloaded the midi files, run them and compared them with your mp3 "sim" files to see if I've got it right, and sad to say I haven't.

With the Bb shake, my output sounds as though the Shake Layer is not operating at all -- it sounds just as I'd expect it to sound without the layer, an unslurred trill.

With the high F shake, the vibrato is there but is not as wide as it should be. Also the trumpet tone is significantly less powerful than the mp3 version.

I'm also having problems with the Release Effects tutorial examples. The effect switch cc15 works OK, switching between the various kinds of release, but cc29 appears to have no effect at all. I've tried it on each of the three kinds of release, with values from 0 to 127, and I cannot hear any difference.

I'm using the JABB update as described in your sticky "Jazz and Big Band Update #1". I've checked that it is genuinely there, as recommended in that sticky. I'm using JABB with the Kontakt Player that comes with it, not the full standalone Kontakt sampler. I'm using DP5 as my DAW. Oh yes, and I've had a look at the event list generated by the midi file, and everything looks in order.

Any suggestions would be very very welcome.
    Martin
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Aaargh! Please (mostly) ignore my last post above. I've discovered that I was using an out-of-date version of the Kontakt player. That's because I finally discovered how to find out what the latest version is. Oh well.

The shakes layer problem persists, probably as explained by Tom Hopkins' post above. Does that mean that this bug has been left unfixed since August 2007? Or is there something else I should be updating?

Martin
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

am I doing controllers wrong?

I'm using Sonar Home Studio. I record a few notes. I open up the Event List and insert a controller before the Note event. I change the controller to the corresponding controller listen in the manual. I insert the other controller events it mentions, all happening simultaneously (?) before the Note event.

All I get is a really bad portamento effect. No matter how I change the perimeters it just does the same thing... a trumpet sounding like a police siren.

The same happens when I try to do the falloffs, doits, etc. I've hit every key on the keyboard because it says they're only in certain ranges, but nothing seems to be happening.

I made my note sustain really long to see if the effect would take affect, and not so much.
    The Untrained Ecclectic--I'm a PC, with Sonar Home Studio, JABB and tons of soundfonts, DXIs & VSTIs

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ward View Post
    The shakes layer problem persists, probably as explained by Tom Hopkins' post above. Does that mean that this bug has been left unfixed since August 2007? Or is there something else I should be updating?
    Martin
    The shakes programming was always very difficult to use even before the K2 player update broke its performance. A fix was devised for the broken K2 programming but it required a complete reworking of controller values to achieve similar behavior to what was described in the earlier tutorial for the older K2 version. All around it was a real headache for all concerned. Meanwhile, we had created a considerably improved approach for the upcoming ARIA version of JABB – one that was extremely easy to use because it automatically generated the necessary controller values. It was decided to hold on the K2 fix and just deliver the better solution in ARIA.

It would be best if you could wait for the ARIA version but for those who can't wait and need the shakes in K2 form now please private message me and I can supply standard (not notation) K2 files plus an updated tutorial to hold you until the much improved ARIA version becomes available.

Tom

Tom,

This is GREAT news!! I have been futzing to create an absolute minimum of poor-sounding trumpet shakes ... and to hear now that the ARIA flavor of JABB will return this sorely missed articulation ... and more user-friendly at that ... well, BRAVO!!

Thanks so much for all the great programming and support you have dedicated to these wonderful software libraries ... I can't wait!

SHAKE ON! and Regards,

Frank

Hi there,

I recently purchased JABB with the intention of recreating some brass parts in Sonar 8.5.3. I've been reading through the documentation, specifically on brass shakes where it goes over the controllers. However in the same section it says "the practical application of these controllers is explained in detail in a tutorial available on the Garritan website".

So I came here to check out the tutorial. Unfortunately the link to the pdf takes me to a non-functioning page. Is the tutorial still relevant? Is it still around somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Ted

JABB3 required a new, revised shakes tutoral. You can find it here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...hakes-Tutorial

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins View Post
    JABB3 required a new, revised shakes tutoral. You can find it here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...hakes-Tutorial

Tom
    Fantastic! Thanks so much.

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast