• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Pro Tools, what's the alternative?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Pro Tools, what\'s the alternative?

Hi all, I was wondering what other options are available if you need to supply your work in stems or more than a simple stereo track.

I believe that many places accept a Pro Tools session, but what is the alternative?

Also, I might want to take my audio tracks to another studio for a live player to add a part to for example.

Are many people still using (and accepting) Tascam DA-88?

Or is a simple two count click at the start of each track enough to bring it in and align in another system?

Re: OT: Pro Tools, what\'s the alternative?

You use Cubase SX 2.0 right? Doesnt it have OMF now? Then you can import it to Pro Tools (if it has digitranslator). Check out the Nuendo forum. I use Nuendo myself but have bounced all tracks when moving stuff to Pro Tools. But thats because the Pro Tools Ive been using doesnt have Digitranslator. But Ive tried importing an OMF from another PT setup to Nuendo and it worked fine.

There\'s both OMF and Broadcast Wave Files. BWF embeds start times with the audio data, and so is frame-accurate. I use Cubase SX and have had success with BWF, but have not had a chance to use OMF within SX 2 yet.

Thanks Guys. I thought OMF might be an option and mentioned it to an engineer friend of mine. He works with Pro Tools and had never heard of OMF files. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Both formats are very much worth investigating though. Thanks.

Hey Scott,

I lifted what\'s below from a couple of articles:

http://www.hollywoodradiotheatre.com/omf2.htm

\"OMF stands for \"Open Media Framwork\" and is a generic file format for holding EDL or edit decision list information. OMF was originally developed by Avid in order for the Avid Media Composers (Avid\'s Premiere video editing system) to output the cut information of a sequence, and for another digital video or audio system to be able to import this information and in some cases actually use the same media. This was Avid\'s gift to the world to help us all \"get along.\" The basic specs and code were distributed to a variety of competing developers and they were encouraged to include OMF import/export scripts in their software.\"

http://www.lafcpug.org/basic_omf_export.html

\"OMF stand for Open Media Framework, and is a way for audio and video files and playlists to be transferred from one editing system to another. There are numerous video and audio companies that support OMF (Apple, Avid, Digidesign, SSL, Sonic Solutions, Discreet, etc.) and allow their products to become more integrated with each other without the need to reprogram their interfaces.

The most useful part of OMF for Final Cut Pro and Avid users is the ability to export audio from the timeline directly into Pro Tools. All of your audio edits and fades can easily transfer over to an audio editing system for sweetening. When finished, the audio editor can layback the finished mix directly to the master tape, or export a file for import back into the video editing system. The most useful part of the whole process is that the audio editor will receive not only the final edit, but also handles on the edits as well. Access to these handles makes it easy to blend edits together and smooth out the mix- a task that is much easier on an audio system than a video editing system.\"

Thanks very much Rick. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Thanks Guys. I thought OMF might be an option and mentioned it to an engineer friend of mine. He works with Pro Tools and had never heard of OMF files. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Both formats are very much worth investigating though. Thanks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Scott,
    OMF isn\'t so well known or used in music as in post so music studios may never have used it.
    There are lots of different OMF\'s (OMF1, OMF2, encapsulated, referencing original files, sample accurate and Frame accurate).
    Going from one music app to another shouldn\'t be a problem but if you are taking an OMF to another studio, do a test run before the session to make sure it works.
    I\'d use OMF2 as in theory you get more info (fades etc) but again this depends on the program.
    You may in the end find it easier to just bounce all your tracks in Cubase so they start at the same point, then export as BWF and burn a CD/DVD.

Brian

I use OMF in ProTools all of the time. $500 for Digitranslator though. Kind of a bummer, but if you\'re working with Avid editors, it\'s gotta be done. They do everything as OMF and you\'ve got to be able to read them. Digital Performer reads OMFs right out of the box, but I\'ve had trouble with Avid OMFs before. It just wouldn\'t see some of them for some reason. However, OMFs from ProTools into DP works fine. If I bring in Digital Performer sessions for mixing, I always export as OMF and bring into ProTools (because you can automate TDM plug-ins in ProTools and you CAN\'T in DP: Big oversight on MOTU\'s part and one that prevents me from using their software professionally).

Thanks very much Guys!

I\'ll have to tell my mate to get his studio to buy Digitranslator.

A couple of thoughts for you Scott:

You can make consolidated tracks starting at 00:00:00:00 and just import them into ProTools. Or you can time stamp your regions and rebuild the session at your friends place (kind of time consuming if you\'ve got a lot of tracks/edits).

Another option: download ProTools Free and rebuild your session on your own time using the regions exported from your app. (this is limited to 8 tracks however) What app are you coming from?

Also, here in Hollywood, DA-88s are still very common. I use them in film post all of the time. I\'m still amazed that some people are using tape, but a lot of houses get into a system that works and don\'t upgrade for 10 years or so.

-Jamey

Go Back to forum