• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano that Sits Best in a Mix

Share/Bookmark

Piano that Sits Best in a Mix

I\'m looking for a piano library to use for Pop/R&B ballads or \"mellow\" Jazz and want something that will sit well in the mix. I read in an older thread some comments on the subject but can\'t find that post anymore.

So far I\'ve been looking at the PMI Bosendorfer 290, The Bardstown and the Vintaudio Yamaha C7. They all sound good based on the demos I\'ve heard but I can\'t for sure tell how well they would work in my tracks. As a reference I would love a sound along the lines of A Day in the Life or Miles\' Kind of Blue. Dark and mellow. I imagine any of the above mentioned libraries can be tweaked to mellow them down a bit...

Anyone with experience with these or others in a Pop ballad context? Any advice?

The Vintaudio I may eliminate from the line up as the library is so large and demanding on the computer.

Thanks!

Re: Piano that Sits Best in a Mix

Check out Alan Russell\'s page. He\'s a big fan of the Bardstown Bosendorfer. Alan tends towards a straight up jazz style, and he has lots of songs on his site. If the piano doesn\'t sound up to task, it may be one of his older pieces using his Yamaha Motif.

Anyway, this may be close to the style you\'re looking for.

http://alanrussellmusic.com/

Here are links to a couple of Alan\'s demo\'s featuring the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand..

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/moon.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/Wonder.mp3

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

If you want the A Day in the Life kinda sound I\'d go for Vintaudio\'s Uprights Collection. They\'re by far my favorite pianos for classic pop stuff. A Day in the Life after all was played on Abbey Road\'s Steinway upright (though the hammers on that piano were modified).

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by TC5:
    Miles\' Kind of Blue. Dark and mellow.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Check into Post Steinway (grandioso) for that one. It\'s much closer to that vibe than the Post Bosendorfer...much more intimate.

Bruce Richardson beat me to the punch, but I want to second his suggestion. I have both th Bosendorfers and the Steinway Grandioso, and for dark and mellow, the Steinway is perfect. Bosendorfers tend to have a brighter richer sound (which I love, too, but not for a mellow sound). Bill Evans played on Kind of Blue and I record mostly trio jazz stuff in his style (but with only a fraction of the talent). Most of his recordings were made on Steinways, and I\'m pretty sure Kind of Blue was. I spent a lot of time trying to get his sound, and the Grandioso Steiny really does it- the 16 layer program has great sounding soft velocity samples.
    I\'m preparing to post a recording of Body and Soul in a trio setting that really showcases the Post Steinway, but I need to set up a large site because of the size of the mp3.

Thanks all for your replies.

SonicVI, are you sure this was an upright piano? Where do you get that info from? Doesn\'t sound like an upright to me...

Originally posted by TC5:
    Thanks all for your replies.

SonicVI, are you sure this was an upright piano? Where do you get that info from? Doesn\'t sound like an upright to me...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My friend Kevin Ryan and his partner Brian Kehew (of Moog Cookbook fame) are writing a book called Recording the Beatles (www.recordingthebeatles.com). They\'ve done years of exhaustive research of the subject including time at Abbey Road Studios who still own the piano. They played the final big E/B (or is it B/E I forget) chord on it and they said it still sounds exactly like it (I saw video they shot of it and it does sound the same), if you listen from the back of the piano where it was miced. It\'s gonna be a great book.

Daniel

I may actually be mistaken that it was a Steinway, but it was an upright, and the hammers I\'m told were modified to be harder to give a brighter sound, as in Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da.

Daniel

Right, I\'ve been looking out for that book. Waiting for the release. Sounds like it\'s gonna be a great read. I guess that piano recording did include a fair bit of room ambience as well(?) I would never have guessed this was an upright. Thanks for the insight.

Go Back to forum