• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's that "Swooshing" sound???

Share/Bookmark

What\'s that "Swooshing" sound???

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Any of you ever notice a kinda \"swooshing\" sound when playing some of the orchestral string libraries? You know... after releasing the notes there\'s a distinct \"swoosh\" or \"sucking\" sound at the end of the sample. It makes it rather difficult to play passages and sounds almost like the sample ends too soon. Maybe editting the release/ decay time would make a difference... I haven\'t tried that yet. I\'ve noticed it in some of the Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Strings samples that I\'ve been using most recently. Anybody got suggestions? Thanks, Gary

Re: What\'s that "Swooshing" sound???

Can you post a short example? I\'ve got KHSS, and have never noticed a swoosh tail. But it\'s probably more of a section thing than a solo sound.

I\'ve noticed this problem with some of the older string libraries, particularly with the Miroslav Vitous strings. The reason for this is that these samples have some \"built-in\" phrasing - they get louder towards the end and more vibrato is added. While this is good for some kind of phrases, it is really difficult to remove that \"sucking\" if it doesn\'t sound appropriate.

I solved the problem by layering the Miroslav samples with other string libraries and crossfading between them with the modwheel. Probably simple volume curves could also fix this issue, but I haven\'t tried it myself.

Originally posted by Gary M. Thomas:
    [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Any of you ever notice a kinda \"swooshing\" sound when playing some of the orchestral string libraries? You know... after releasing the notes there\'s a distinct \"swoosh\" or \"sucking\" sound at the end of the sample. It makes it rather difficult to play passages and sounds almost like the sample ends too soon. Maybe editting the release/ decay time would make a difference... I haven\'t tried that yet. I\'ve noticed it in some of the Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Strings samples that I\'ve been using most recently. Anybody got suggestions? Thanks, Gary
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Just a thought: are you using a KHVS version converted from Akai to Giga? If so, there could be a bug which results in no release time whatsoever. Check the FILTER envelope (EG2) and make sure the pre attack level is 0. As a workaround set the filter release time to a big number e.g. 5. (Don\'t forget to select all zones)

If you use the short sustaines instead of the long ones for faster passages your problem is also solved. Make a patch with all articulations and keyswitch between them. This really works.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Beckers might be on to something.

If the envelopes are programmed wrong, you may have a filter being opened while you hold a note down and closing when you let go of the key.

If the filter release is faster than the amplifier release you will hear the filer closing down from bright to dull. That could sound like a swoosh.

The way around this is to lengthen the filter envelope\'s release time until it\'s longer than the amplifier release time, guaranteeing that the sound fades before you hear filter movement.

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    If you use the short sustaines instead of the long ones for faster passages your problem is also solved. Make a patch with all articulations and keyswitch between them. This really works.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oops, I thought of Miroslav instead of Kirk Hunter. I always mix up those two people. Sorry. Miroslav has the same problem with most instruments with long sustains. That\'s way he inplemented the portato articulation in his library.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the responses! There are lots of things mentioned that I\'ll have to try.... (yes, the samples were converted from Akai format.) I think that the solution is to open the old Giga Editor and sorta \"hit and miss\" until the samples sound okay. Any more responses and/or suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks, Gary

Talk to Damon Bradley - he\'s the suction expert!

LOL Simon [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Gary do you mean legato intervals? The sliding sounds inbetween notes going from note to note on strings?
    If so there is also a trick to avoid the \'sucking\' effect by making expression envelope dips inbetween notes by \'converting midi to shapes\' and choosing cc11 for expression. Then you just tweak out the nodes on the graph of the expression line. I use Sonar so I wouldn\'t know how to do this with a different sequencer.

Go Back to forum