• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bell Ringer Choir Concert

Share/Bookmark

Bell Ringer Choir Concert

I went to a Bell Ringer Choir concert in Bremerton, WA this afternoon. My mother's cousin's son, Fred Gramann conducted a four day workshop which culminated in the sunday concert which he also conducted. There were bell ringers from all across the United States that apparently work in smaller groups and then travel to these events. There were ninety ringers in all.

They played these really huge aluminum bells for the bass parts and long clapper type of bell instruments for other sounds besides the standard brass bells. They also would play the bells with padded sticks around the edges like musical glasses.

Since he has lived in France most of his life I don't believe I ever met him before. I guess he's an international bell ringer guru and composer besides his other musical duties at the American Church of Paris.

I think it would sound awesome in a large cathedral but it might be too difficult for the players to sync to each other.

As this was my first large bell ringer choir concert it was a very interesting and enjoyable afternoon.

Phil

Re: Bell Ringer Choir Concert

I love the sound of a Bell Choir.

I had the opportunity to be a part of a project that incorporated a full Bell Choir. It was Daniel Pinkham's Company at the Creche. It was performed at St. Mark's Church in Foxboro, Massachusetts, back around 1981. Company at the Creche is a beautiful set of Christmas-time pieces, composed for a choice of a variety of choruses and instrumentation. For that particular Christmas Eve service, a female choir, Bell Choir, Harp and Piano were used to perform the piece. I ONLY mention this because of the impact this composition had on me as a young man in his senior year in music college. From a compositional point of view, it helped me "click" to the idea of what modern composition is all about. Daniel Pinkham's use of harmony and melody in this piece helped put together for me all that I learned in college. It gave a working example to what can be written and performed. Also, I was responsible for rehearsing the Bell Choir leading up to its performance. Mind you, I NEVER played in a Bell Choir much less rehearse/conduct one. It was a crash course in learning the basics of a Bell Choir including how to play them! LOL! All went well, though. That whole process of rehearsing then performing that music was one of those "Defining Moments" in one's life which is treasured for a lifetime.

I wish there were examples of this composition to share. Unfortunately I could not find any.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

I used to play in the Bell Choir years ago. I usually played the lower bass bells which could be quite challenging especially is you had 5-6 bells to ring.

Jim

Ted said,

Also, I was responsible for rehearsing the Bell Choir leading up to its performance. Mind you, I NEVER played in a Bell Choir much less rehearse/conduct one. It was a crash course in learning the basics of a Bell Choir including how to play them! LOL! All went well, though. That whole process of rehearsing then performing that music was one of those "Defining Moments" in one's life which is treasured for a lifetime.
    I imagine it was a true test by fire Ted!

Phil

Go Back to forum