Demo: (Careful, it\'s LOUD!)
    http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/VlnArpMajDemo.mp3

Free .gig files:
    http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/downloads.html

Best, and Enjoy!
    Kirk Hunter
    www.kirkhunterstudios.com

Re: Solo Strings (Violin) more FREE stuff

Hi Kirk, I love the sound of your solo-strings - it\'s just great. It\'s a sound which can make you cry!

Great job!

Btw. Your solo-string lib is on my \"to-buy\" list for the next year!

So it looks like you\'re adding arps and scales to the Solo String library then? Any date yet for the final release? Will these new samples be added to the final Solo Strings? Will it cost to upgrade to the final with the runs in them?

Devon

Originally posted by DevonB:
    So it looks like you\'re adding arps and scales to the Solo String library then? Any date yet for the final release? Will these new samples be added to the final Solo Strings? Will it cost to upgrade to the final with the runs in them?

Devon
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nope.. no extra cost. I\'ll be uploading the stuff for free downloads to all who want them. ENJOY!

Kirk Hunter

Hi Kirk,
    your solo strings sure have a great sound, great programming and very good ideas of sampling technics. But why can\'t I find any mp3 on your site? I would like to check those flutes out again. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Markus S:
    Hi Kirk,
    your solo strings sure have a great sound, great programming and very good ideas of sampling technics. But why can\'t I find any mp3 on your site? I would like to check those flutes out again. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Solo String Demos are at:
    http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/solodemos.html

Flute Demos are at:
    http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/soloflutedemos.html

Best,
    Kirk Hunter

I recently purchased Kirk\'s solo strings and I just wanted to say that I couldn\'t be happier. (Ok, native Halion support would make me happier; but the strings sound great and the price per sample is outstanding.)

P.S. And given the recent tone here, I thought I should add that I don\'t work for, beta test or have any commercial interest in Kirk\'s work or that of anyone else on this forum.

I have no connection to Kirk either. But I listened to the VSL solo strings demo today. The solo violin (buried in the orchestration) didn\'t sound nearly as real as Kirk\'s much more affordable library. Kirk had the guts to produce a solo violin demo that has no other instruments in the mix.

I think Kirk\'s release samples make all the difference.

I\'m also just a happy KHSS customer.

I was also surprised that the VSL demo started with a full orchestra. You can\'t really judge a solo violin library that way.

To me the keys to KHSS\' usability are the umpteen velocity layers, the variety of solid articulations, and the expressiveness of the sustain samples. Unlike a horn library where the velocity layers have extreme ranges of tibre, with KHSS it\'s more like not ever having to hear the same sample twice.

The only place where the VSL articulations might have the leg up is the articulations with dynamics, like f-p-crecendo. Of course, pre-recorded dynamics don\'t necessarily have the build that you want for a given line, so you end up using the mod-wheel or cc-11 anyway. But when the pre-recorded stuff fits, it generally sounds very good.

Maybe Kirk will consider adding some dynamics samples later as a competitive response. The nice thing about dynamic samples is that you only need one velocity layer per note, since they generally range between pp and ff anyway. No need to do 16 layers here. (Gads! Those must have been long days!)

Anyway, I\'d buy KHSS all over again. They\'re a joy to play and hear.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    The only place where the VSL articulations might have the leg up is the articulations with dynamics, like f-p-crecendo.

Anyway, I\'d buy KHSS all over again. They\'re a joy to play and hear.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for the compliments, Mr. Fairhurst. Actually, I did consider putting in dynamic \"ramps\" such as p--->ff etc. But when I experimented with hearing the results of simply using MIDI volume (cc 7) in a cue using a non-dynamic sample, that was good enough for me. However, if I get enough requests for something like this, I\'ll reconsider adding it to the library.

Best,
    Kirk Hunter

Go Back to forum