• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My heart needs an orchestra

Share/Bookmark

My heart needs an orchestra

The beuty of an Orchastra is something not even my favorite synthesizor can seldom cover. I have since found Garritan Instant Orchestra on sale today and have been entangled in a web of wonder on whether this beuttifully crafted VSTI would be a saviour I have been searching for with my prductions and studio.

I am a musician on a budget but my ideas far exceed the price of a nice studio and I have been missing an orchstra, there are 2 versions of Orchastra from Garritan and now can't be sure which one would be magical to my music.

What are the key differences between Garritan Instant Orchestra and Garritan Instant Orchestra 4 and also how do upgrades and expansions work with these programs, which one is better then the other and has the nicest approach to creating musical pieces, would I end up needing to buy both programs?
    I myself produce Trance music and would like to create deeply epic orchestrated breakdowns to further wow myself and friends, also being able to produce some nice hip hop beats is what I would like to do aswell.

Any help would be amazing, take care and thankyou so much.

Re: My heart needs an orchestra

Garritan Personal Orchestra GPO )gives you individual string sections such as 1st Violins, 2nd Violins, Violas, Cellos and Basses whereas Instant Orchestra (GIO) has the string sections layered across the keyboard. GIO has quite a few string articulations not found in GPO. GIO has many section sound type patches versus the individual solo instruments in GPO. GIO also has quite a few special effects.

Instant Orchestra main strength is that you can put together orchestrations with minimal work instead of having to layer the individual instruments in GPO.

The libraries compliment each other so if possible, get both. If you can only get one, then start with the Personal Orchestra.

Jim

Thankyou for being so polite and leaving a very usefull reply, can I ask a few more questions?

From what you have said GIO is a more easier tool to use and full of out of the box orchetra and specials, where as GPO has allot more options and is a more advanced build your way tool. But can you use each of the 100+ instruments on there own aswell if you wished with GIO or is that just a GPO exclusive?

I like the easability that is being displayed with GIO and some of the advanced effects such as morph where you can have a chorus playing then move to strings sounds fantastic! That is quite lovely.

I would basicly love to have the ability to use instruments on there own aswell for the most part such as the pianos and such, but are they great on there own and can instruments be used on there own with GIO?

I wish there was a demo for either products, I have read many reviews and watched and listened to many videos on YouTube but both products seem so simulor but with a different angle of producing orchestra but also a fantastic way in, so I am really confused at where to start still!

Thankyou ever so much.

Instant Orchestra is mostly section sounds. If you want solo clarinets, flute, trumpet, etc., then you want GPO. So the sections are pre-built in GIO. You can download the manuals which have lists of the instruments toward the back.

Jim

Thanks again, I have been making lots more research and looking at alternatives to GPO but they are more expensive but seem like much bigger libraries especialy in download size. GPO is just 2 gig to download which does seem very small considering how many instruments are there!

Quality wise between other products I can't fully tell and I have a great mixing ear, GPO does seem like a nice program to try but to buy something to try it is not something I can do, I bought Izotope Iris last year and that was a nightmare that did nothing very usefull for my music and just sits there now...

Would GPO be as good as the competition like Project SAM Synphobia and East West or should I just hold on to my money, GPO is not on sale right now where as GIO is and I possibly won't be rushed to purchase at this moment in time. I was so happy finding GIO a few days ago and amazed but I really need a demo.

GPO is a great starter orchestra and can't be beat for the money. Don't let the size fool you. GPO has programming that allows the most mileage out of the samples.

Instant Orchestra is more comparable to the Project SAM Symphobia but at a fraction of the cost.

Jim

I tell you. . . With only a little effort and time, one can get a whole lot of great sound from GPO!! There really is a whole lot of bang for the buck. For me, anyway, the quality of sound one can get from GPO beats a number of competing orchestral libraries that are much more costly.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    For me, anyway, the quality of sound one can get from GPO beats a number of competing orchestral libraries that are much more costly.
    .... one example?
    In my opinion, GPO sounds exactly the way it costs. Not an inch better, not one worse.

Nuevo, I a couple of suggestions relevant to your orchestra quest.

The Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra.
    http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/

This is completely free to download. It is ... well, free. Not incredible sounding, not very deeply programmed. The good thing is that is not sounding bad at all, and it is completely open, so, with a bit of work and experience, you can develop you own programs that behave the way YOU intend them, not the way some other guy thought you'd have liked. Worth a look... it is free. You will need a sfz player for this, but there's plenty around.

The deal of the month, I guess, is this one:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products...harmonik-audio

The Miroslav Philharmonic has been around for ages. Used to cost thousands dollars.... I guess at 48 euros is a pretty good gift. This runs on Ik Multimedia own engine, not very modern programming and a player I do not particularly like... but, hey, at 48 euros this can not be a complaint. The truth is that Miroslav still sounds very good. In my opinion the sheer sound quality is better than GPO, mainly because of the strings (solos in particular) and a quite good choir (GPO choir.... well... pretend it is not there). Listen to the demos on the site.
    To sum it up: in my opinion, GPO has a better programming, Miroslav better sounds. I mean.. GPO is 2GB, Miroslav 7GB. At this price it is also a WAY better in bangs for the buck, GPO is 75 dollars pr GB, Miroslav 10.

Ah... unlike GPO, with Miroslav you actually get a downloadable demo with a few patches loadable. So you can understand whether you like or not the player, the "feel" and the workflow.

Fab

There's a good comparison between Instant and Personal Orchestra at the end of this page:

http://www.garritan.com/products/ins...es-benefits-2/
    Justin Phillips
    Senior Product Manager
    MakeMusic, Inc

I quit using Miroslav once I received GPO and found GPO sounded much better. GPO is chromatically sampled versus the sample stretching in Miroslav. This really affects the sounds of vibratos. Vibrato speed is consistent with GPO versus the speeding up and slowing down depending on the note in Miroslav. Also, many of the Miroslav sounds have really slow attacks.

Jim

Go Back to forum