• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Am I Making A Mistake

Share/Bookmark

Am I Making A Mistake

I have been practicing sight singing very regularly using the movable do method. I am now attempting just to sing the notes without reference to any syllable such as do. Just taking a starting pitch from my pitch pipe and singing the notes la, la, la or da, da, da or what have you. It seems like the logical next step. I just want to put it out to the people who are more experienced than I to be sure I am not making a mistake in dispensing with the solemnization.

Re: Am I Making A Mistake

I like using scale degrees such as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 instead of solfege. It transitions better to theory as well.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    I like using scale degrees such as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 instead of solfege. It transitions better to theory as well.
    ~Rodney
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. Actually, though, I am talking about using no prompts whatsover. Just singing the notes. I want to be able to sing a line with different articulations and be able to write it down. Da, da, de dum or what have you.

Well..I feel dumb.The new book I am working with talks about using neutral syllables. So I guess I am not out in left field.

Try to get what Zoltan Kodaly said on the subject.

Ted

Me?? Although I learned chromatic solfage (a long, long time ago), I like to use words to the melody. Just silly, nonsensical made up words.

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

The ideal will be to hear the sound of the instrument for which the line is written. I have also noticed that by switching to neutral syllables I am using intervals as much as notes in reference to the tonic. When I sing fa, I hear that in relation to the tonic. When I use neutral syllables I am relying on the intervals between the notes as well. It never stops.

I have used and taught 6 different pitch reading systems over the years. Three were variants of the moveable "do" concept. These are do, re, mi (in a major key the tonic pitch is always do) with and without chromatic inflections of the syllable names and scale degree numbers. The others are fixed do, re, mi (C is always do) with or without chromatic inflections of the syllables and singing the letter names of the notes.

I strongly suggest one master both a fixed and a moveable system. But, don't use do, re, mi for both. If you come from a country that uses do, re, mi to name the notes (most of Europe and South America) use fixed do and scale degree numbers. Otherwise use do, re, mi or 1, 2, 3 for a moveable system and C, D, E for a fixed system.

Moveable systems work well for tonal (and modal) music but not for atonal music or tonal music that modulates frequently. These work best with a fixed pitch system. There is no need to ever not use a music reading system when singing except when you are singing the lyrics of a song. I suggest you continue developing fluency in two systems and skip changing to a neutral syllable system.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by jandjnelson View Post
    I suggest you continue developing fluency in two systems and skip changing to a neutral syllable system.
    Norman
    I am getting somewhat fluent in movable do. I have not attempted fixed do which seems much more difficult. Are you saying I should never want to learn a neutral syllable system.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    I am getting somewhat fluent in movable do. I have not attempted fixed do which seems much more difficult. Are you saying I should never want to learn a neutral syllable system.
    I think you will do very well without a neutral syllable system.

Since you are using do, re, mi for a moveable system, I suggest just singing the letter names of the notes (C, D, E) for a fixed system. Sing every melody both ways and be sure to sing in the clefs that appear in orchestral music. i.e. treble, bass, alto, and tenor

By the way, when you sing movable do in minor keys do you use do or la for the tonic pitch? I suggest la. Then you will find it easy to sing in all the modes by using re as tonic in dorian, mi in phrygian, fa in lydian, sol in mixolydian, etc.

Norman

Go Back to forum