• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My first orchestral demo in this forum

Share/Bookmark

My first orchestral demo in this forum

Hi folks,

I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum. I have been reading along for some time, and I must say that I never found a forum with so much people of true competence.

So here is my first link to a composition I did in the last week - I am very interested in your opinion.

I wrote this track for a movie sequence - an Action Scene taking place in a modern setting.

I used VSL Strings, SAM Brass & Timpanis and some older lib stuff.

What do you think of the composition, mix and how close do you think this is to the real thing?

Greets,

Tilman

http://www.dynamedion.de/samples/orchestral_action.mp3

Re: My first orchestral demo in this forum

Tilman,

Very nicely done! I like the composition a lot and it sounds very realistic.

-- Martin

hello tilman,
    this is an excellent track, very impressive...the dynamics are great...the falling and the rising moments are really well built...but i heard lot of clipping through out which is very much visible, so you need to take it back to the mixing process i think....
    bye

hello Tilman,

A very good job you did here ! The differents rythm with strings are impressive. It seems (but perhaps I mistake),
    that you, for the mix, took a \"Elfman way\" direction, I mean a very close mix. IMO, I would prefer a little more reverb...
    The piece is long, and never boring in spite of we don\'t have the pictures ; Meanwhile, I think it would be better to have a main theme which can come sometimes.
    Again a great job.
    Did.

I don\'t think its so much that it sounds close, it sounds mono - as do all the tracks on the Dynamedion site. Amazing performance from the samples though.

Hi Hasen,

Your point about the mix is very interesting for me, as I am doing all the mixing at Dynamedion. Do you mean, that the intruments themselves sound mono or the whole mix. Concerning the instruments (mostly they are in mono), I don\'t really have an idea how to change all instruments to stereo, as I can\'t see a possibility to get 44 single instrumental tracks (like in this composition) playing all at once in stereo. The performance is simply not sufficient.

How do you handle this?

Greetings,

Pierre Langer

Obviously I don\'t mean the whole piece sounds mono and when all is playing together it sounds alright, but some parts where less less instruments are playing you can clearly hear that they\'re mono. Why are they mostly mono, what library is that?

Strings: VSL - edited to mono because of performance (Violins & Violas in stereo)

Brass: SAM - set to mono

Wood: MV mono

Percussion: Mixed Libraries all in mono.

The reason for turning them into mono is - as I mentioned - just the performance, it doesn\'t work to set the instruments to stereo.

How do you manage to get a stereo setting while using a huge orchestra?

Pierre Langer

Originally posted by nontacky:
    Strings: VSL - edited to mono because of performance (Violins & Violas in stereo)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmm that can\'t be a good idea..

Brass: SAM - set to mono
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ouch! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Wood: MV mono

Percussion: Mixed Libraries all in mono.

The reason for turning them into mono is - as I mentioned - just the performance, it doesn\'t work to set the instruments to stereo.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well if any of these instruments have their own ambience (like SAM Brass for instance) then you\'re really killing the sound by making them mono.
    I would agree that sometimes you do want to collapse the stereo field of instruments but I wouldn\'t want to go as far as making them mono altogether.

How do you manage to get a stereo setting while using a huge orchestra?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">A powerful computer? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I use HALion which has a million ways to reduce the load on the cpu. I can literally make it so my computer can handle almost anything I throw at it if I lower the settings enough. Obviously if I go too far it turns into a GM set. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brabo!!,
    One of the Better last Compositions i´ve heard here.
    Keep On.

Go Back to forum