• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you use the tuning and scales features in the Aria settings window?

Share/Bookmark

How do you use the tuning and scales features in the Aria settings window?

1. To those of you that change the default tuning and scale values in the Aria player's settings window, what is your goal, reason, etc. and have you been pleased with the results?

2. I have included two links to mp3 files of a shortened version of A Swedish Melody which is the band piece that was my first post on this forum. The first file was made using Garritan Instruments for Finale and GPO for some solo instruments. It is in the default 440hz tuning and equal temperament The second is a live concert performance by the San Antonio Texas High School All Region Band with Gary Garner conducting. Gary asked me to compose a piece that was suitable for concerts and would present many of the more common and problematic tuning situations that are encountered with young wind players. He has used the piece three times for concerts and clinics and this is the most recent.

In addition to dealing with situations where doubled lines include instruments that tend to be sharp are deliberately combined with ones that tend to be flat he also teaches how to adjust certain chords so that they are played in just intonation instead of equal temperament. (for a root position major chord, this involves slightly raising the perfect with above the root and substantially lowering the major third above the root. When done well the adjusted notes will be in tune with the notes in the overtone series of the root of the chord. The result is increased resonance and a decrease in harshness) In the live recording Gary has made these adjustments to sustained major and minor chords that end sections or phrases and do not have a strong tendency to resolve to the next chord. Since the young musicians in this band prepare a full concert with only a few hours of rehearsal and since they come from many different band programs whose conductors treat intonation in different ways, I am amazed at the results Gary can achieve. Listen and see if you can hear the adjusted chords and do you like the effect. This recording has no audio enhancement and is at a lower overall volume level than the MIDI version.

https://www.box.com/s/goa1mq7nuvvlmaboo9sw

https://www.box.com/s/8fhk45ipokne0moqb1ty

I now own COMB2 and plan to use it to create two other MIDI versions of the piece. One will be all equal temperament and the other will adjust the appropriate chords to just intonation. The tuning settings in Aria include what I need but I cannot find any way to switch a line between equal temperament and just intonation on the fly. I could create new tracks for the just intonation version of each instrument and let the two take turns as needed or I can use a pitch controller to adjust individual pitches as needed. This second approach could take a lot of time but I am willing to do it if it is the only or best way. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Norman

Thumbs up Re: How do you use the tuning and scales features in the Aria settings window?

I use it to play renaissance and baroque music with the right temperament (e.g. meantone for renaissance, and Bach well tempered for baroque) and the right diapason (e.g. 460 for renaissance and 415 for baroque).

Bach's music would totally change colour and harmony, once you play in the right temperament, with more ringing major chords and more touching and moving dissonances...wow, it has changed the way I look to the tuning matter, I always considered kind of boring academic discussion before I had a quick and reliable way of experimenting them.

Now I have it in ARIA and in VSL Player Pro.

Re: How do you use the tuning and scales features in the Aria settings window?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Bach's music would totally change colour and harmony, once you play in the right temperament, with more ringing major chords and more touching and moving dissonances...wow, it has changed the way I look to the tuning matter, I always considered kind of boring academic discussion before I had a quick and reliable way of experimenting them.
    Fabio,

If you can please post some examples. I am very interested in hearing them.

Norman

Go Back to forum