• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL strings

Share/Bookmark

VSL strings

After briefly sitting down and having a little play with the demo cube - I have noticed that the strings have quite a lot of bow noise. I quite like it, but has anyone found this to be problematic in anyway?

Re: VSL strings

Thats what I particularly liked when I heard some of those VSL demos. You could really hear those bows sawing away.

John Z.

It\'s what makes them breath! You need it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maarten

I agree with Maarten. Who wouldn\'t want bownoise in their string recordings? It\'s as much part of the timbre as the actual strings resonance. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thomas

What exactly do you guys mean by \"bow noise\"?
    As far as I know the bow doesn\'t make any noise at all. It makes the strings vibrate and that\'s what you hear. Are you talking about the attack of the sound?

Anthony Lombardi
    www.mp3.com/alombardi

A most to buy ...

Now I play music ... before, I programmed music [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    I agree with Maarten. Who wouldn\'t want bownoise in their string recordings? It\'s as much part of the timbre as the actual strings resonance. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey, don\'t get me wrong boys. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I love having the stuff in there... makes it sound more authentic. The only thing I was slightly concerned about is that you may have got a cumulative effect where bow noise layered against other bow noise gives you too much noise.

Ah, maybe not [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

tonylombardi - Bow noise is a scraping noise that can be heard if you get close enough to the strings.

What exactly do you guys mean by \"bow noise\"?
    As far as I know the bow doesn\'t make any noise at all. It makes the strings vibrate and that\'s what you hear. Are you talking about the attack of the sound?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m going to assume that you really don\'t know what people mean by \'bow noise\' and aren\'t just being a \"can I?! You mean may I\" person who wears sensible shoes.

Close up, you hear the resin rubbing against the strings. And the more pressure you apply when playing, the more of that you hear. It\'s a lovely gritty sound that gets lost when you mic or hear string sections from a distance. Since you can vary the amount of bow weight at any time, it has nothing to do with the attack.

Actually I was being serious about my question.
    I know what people mean when they say \"bow noise\" now. Thanks
    I actually just got a violin recently and have been practicing a bit just on my own. Not an easy instrument to learn. I can play some simple songs though now. I believe the stuff you put on the bow is \"rosin\" not \"resin\". The amount of it you put on certainly does make a difference.

Anthony Lombardi
    www.mp3.com/alombardi

Just to be clear, this thing people call \"bow noise\" is still actually produced by the vibration of the strings, not the vibration of the bow. That\'s what initially confused me, since the vibration of the bow hair or bow wood I think is extremely small in comparison to that of the strings. The different amounts of rosin or bow pressure causes the strings to vibrate differently, making different sounds.

Go Back to forum