• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS Lite or SI Mini? or.....?

Share/Bookmark

GOS Lite or SI Mini? or.....?

Hi all, I recently purchased a copy of AO and after reading many excellent posts in these forums the general consensus seems to be that the strings are the weakest part of the library.

So I am wondering what the best string library would be to complement AO.

I am on a bit of a budget so am considering either GOS LITE and SI Mini but I am open to other suggestions.

I am looking mainly for the \"hollywood strings\" type of sound, generally slow sweeping passages, not neccessarily fast bowing stuff.

Would the above mentioned libraries fit the bill? If so, which one might be the better option and why?

Thanks, Scott.

Re: GOS Lite or SI Mini? or.....?

Honestly, I think the big issue as far as the mini libraries go comes down to tone. Listen to the demos and decide which tone you want more in your music.

You should visit the garritan and Sonic Implants sites, theres a lot of really great demos there.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Jesse, yes I have been listening to the demo\'s, to me though it is sometimes hard to truly judge the merits of the library when the guys doing the demo have so many years of experience and \"tricks up their sleeves\" so to speak.

I thought I would ask those here who have had first hand experience with the libraries as they may be aware of certain limitations in them, etc.

Regards, Scott.

Hi Jesse, I was reading that and found it quite informative. I was wondering more about the \"LITE\" versions though.

Regards, Scott.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    I am looking mainly for the \"hollywood strings\" type of sound, generally slow sweeping passages, not neccessarily fast bowing stuff.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Personally I\'d go for the SI library, from my experience Garritan doesn\'t offer the same intimate sound and SI just sounds more \"real\" to me (posted a short mp3 in one of the other threads).

The only disadvantage I can think of is that SI has a somewhat smaller sound, especially the first and second violins. But I\'ve found you can make it sound reasonably large when you double some tracks.

It\'s also very playable and requires little editing to sound right, which is another plus IMO. It even sounds great with no reverb at all, just the release samples.

So for me no contest, SI would be my choice.

Go Back to forum