• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: REAL MUSIC WITH VI?? ... impressed by new technologies.

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb REAL MUSIC WITH VI?? ... impressed by new technologies.

As perhaps the few of you which know me remember, I've always worked on the research for realism, cooperating as a demo maker with some producer in the past, or simply for personal fun.

Actually I had the chance of keeping updated my tools with some of the most recent and amazing technologies, and I post a little sample of the possible result for your critics and judgement:

https://www.box.com/s/193vyd6ct2b31s8jgc7l

Featuring the Samplemodeling SOLO Clarinet 1.03

Orchestral rendering is made with the following combination of tools:
    -Cubase 7.01 (DAW)
    -VSL MIR Pro 24 (convolution reverb and Virtual stage)
    - VSL VI Pro (orchestral sounds sample player with humanization)
    - VSL Dimension Strings (last generation VSL string sections builder)
    - Samplemodeling French Horns and VSL SE winds

Re: REAL MUSIC WITH VI?? ... impressed by new technologies.

Man this sounds just great! Very realistic sounding to me. Is the music something you wrote because it is marvelous?
    Jay.

Fabio! Your thread over at Garritan General Discussion brought me over here to this Forum where I'm a stranger. I'll post a reply there too, but I wanted to acknowledge your post here and say Thank You for the beautiful VSL demo - This certainly has to be a milestone in your quest for realism. Fantastic!

Randy

This does sound very realistic to me and I am a clarinetist. The Mozart Clarinet Concerto is one of my favorites and I have performed it multiple times.

There were a couple of places where I heard some vibrato that seemed a bit wide. I know the French style of clarinet playing uses a little light vibrato as opposed to the German style which doesn't. This seemed to have a more French and lighter sound compared to the darker German sound that I am used to, but that doesn't detract from the overall excellent quality of the realism you have presented in this performance.

Great job at making a realistic rendition of both the clarinet and the orchestra. Bravo!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Man this sounds just great! Very realistic sounding to me. Is the music something you wrote because it is marvelous?
    Jay.
    Hey thanks! Anyway...
    I would pay my soul to devil to be able of writing so fresh balance of style and inspiration...but darmn Wolfy and not me wrote the score.

(he probably knows I'm a follower of Joe Sebastian, and hate me, so I try to have back his blessing rendering his music as well at my best... )

it's Mozart's Clarinet Concerto

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    This does sound very realistic to me and I am a clarinetist. The Mozart Clarinet Concerto is one of my favorites and I have performed it multiple times.

There were a couple of places where I heard some vibrato that seemed a bit wide. I know the French style of clarinet playing uses a little light vibrato as opposed to the German style which doesn't. This seemed to have a more French and lighter sound compared to the darker German sound that I am used to, but that doesn't detract from the overall excellent quality of the realism you have presented in this performance.

Great job at making a realistic rendition of both the clarinet and the orchestra. Bravo!
    Yes this is a deep insight: you are right I had to decide if being more flat in Viennese style or more warm and slightly vibrato in the Italian and French style as you say.
    Being I following some European and Italian virtuoso performances as a model, I preferred this solution, also because this is the kind of features to highlight in the demo of this flexible and expressive VI.

Well done, Fabio! It sounded quite convincing to my modest ears.

I've been eyeing purchasing VSL products for a while now. Even their "Special Edition Complete Bundle" is not cheap. I received an email from VSL that mentioned there will be a 10% increase in prices for their products sold in the US. I guess their decision to do this is related, in part, to the exchange rate. Sadly, that will make even their more "cheaper" products more expensive.

My question to people like you who obviously use VSL products is. . . Is it worth it??

I recently purchased their Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 software program. I like how it manages panning which, hopefully, will add some "realism" to my humble projects, especially as I work to pan orchestra instruments correctly. (I use a combination of GPO, JABB and Kirk Hunter instrumental libraries for my basic orchestral set-up.) It seems that investing $$$$ in VSL's MIR would also be helpful. Again, though, it's not cheap from a financial point of view.

I think about how people like you who have the talent. . . and precious TIME. . . to create such convincing orchestral renderings and come to the conclusion that I, for now, might just need to settle for the quality sounds that I create at with the equipment, available time and current talent ("chops"/capabilities) at hand. Yet, I can't help but think that a certain investment in $$$$ in purchasing these newer orchestral libraries and reverb programs like MIR would be helpful in creating more convincing renderings, requiring less of my precious and limited time to create them. The technology of these software programs not only help create more convincing orchestral renderings, they do so seemingly requiring less investment in time. MIR seems to be a powerful time-saver in creating that realism. Yes? No?

Thanks for sharing your work. It is indeed inspiring and thought-provoking on many levels.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hi, my first post here and I'm making it on this very interesting thread. First to say to Fabio that I very much like the demo. It sounds very realistic. The only imperfections I can hear are with the clarinet, but that's probably natural as it is the most exposed instrument here. The sound color of that clarinet sample is very good, though.

I'm only a beginner in samples and making music, so please don't judge me. I am here to talk and to learn.

Since I'm especially fond of solo woodwinds in music, few years ago I searched for some realistic woodwind samples (unfortunately, last few years I had to learn about earning money through internet, instead of learning about making music). I tried several of the most reputable ones and was very surprised to hear that most of them don't sound right. They had nicely done articulations, but color of the sound was everything but not realistic (my guess was that it was because they wanted to make articulations so good). Every instrument sounded like "some woodwind", missing exactly what is characteristic for that particular instrument. On the other hand, I was amazed by solo woodwinds from Miroslav Philharmonik. The situation was totally reversed: not so good articulations, but amazing color of sound. I haven't tried it too much, but maybe with some effort Miroslav's woodwinds could sound very realistic. I don't know if I'm talking about something that was discussed million times, but there it goes. I would really like to hear if someone did try this with Miroslav's samples and what were the results.

BTW I red the forum rules and I think my signature doesn't break them, but I will remove it if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    My question to people like you who obviously use VSL products is. . . Is it worth it??
    I recently purchased their Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 software program. MIR seems to be a powerful time-saver in creating that realism. Yes? No?
    Summary:
    yes but only in combination, probably not stand alone.
    MIR 24 is really a time-saver and quality/realism improver whatever library you run, inside the Ensemble Pro 5 or even as a VST plug-in. VI Pro features (and new standard free player as well) make the VSL library easier to manage and controllers easy to set up.

Details:

Well, for me, the reason for keeping away from them (VSL) for years was of course the price, but another one was pretty technical: they were always good sounds, but the only way to make them sound good was using an exhausting and confusing large amount of different articulations.

The great thing of GPO was the uniform and expressive control model: velocity for attack and CC1 for expression (volume and colour). Just one patch, a few and coherent editings, and you may get instruments "sing".
    The bad thing is it was based on basic amount of samples and filters, and it sounds virtual and blurred due to the economy of sound resources: anyway a great result for a cheap and light libray, I loved and used so much.

The solution to the issues above was in my very humble opinion suggested by the research of G.Tommasini and S.Lucato. Their cooperation with Garritan generated the first and unsurpassed Solo String VI (Stradivari violin and Gofriller cello) . Such a pity Gary Garritan stopped cooperation, and such a great thing they started cooperating with Peter Siedlaczek (creator of Advanced Orchestra, the first large professional orchestral sampling, the VSL of the 90's).

Their joint venture, the actual "Samplemodeling" company makes the most advanced Solo Wind ever, and again the single patch, single and coherent controller model are superior and easier to play/edit than any patchwork of keyswitched articulations, (even if super-expensive and good sounding as VSL). If you have to buy an orchestra they are not cheap... but a single solo is affordable and is really value for money.

But recently something has changed in VSL, and it made me finally happy and investing in them:

- the Special Edition series were more affordable for European customers. Great Marketing idea.

- The Ensamble Pro 5 is the most solid flexible powerful host I ever had in 20 years of computer music.

- If you are VSL customer, you may try for free for some weeks all the SW products, the real and full features version: this is really try before buy. They won me as a buyer of MIR Pro 24 and VI player Pro, since I was so happy with them during the trial period. I saved money waiting for my end-year bonus just to buy them...LOL.

- The VI player Pro has a multi slot matrix builder with independent humanization, and fully customizable controller set. It makes the tool easier to set-up in a way very similar to GPO or Samplemodeling or whatever controller editing or real time play you like. The realism is impressive. It makes products like Dimension Strings (building sections with single players like in GPO) fantastic and easy to use.

- the introductory offer and early bird offer were incredibly temptating: another great marketing idea they had, and being for Xmas... no better time to get my money...

Not even a welcome?

Go Back to forum