• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Solo String (Violin) FREE .gig file

Share/Bookmark

Re: Solo String (Violin) FREE .gig file

I love the Spicicato SLOW-FAST patch...instant gipsy magic... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

rest ae fine too..

Why is there some strange LP filter on some of the patches on low velo?

anyways..sounds nice..thanks for the download

Alex

Great idea Kirk!

With the release trigger patches you can\'t make a \"sampled machine gun violin\", even when trying. The releases give the separate up/down bow feel, and the 16 sample layers give ample variety. It took me some time to get used to the feel of these, but they can be very effective - tons better than replaying the same sample over and over again. The spiccato sound is especially great.

I use a weighted keyboard, but I think an unweighted keyboard might be best for these. Why? Because you want the note-on, note-off MIDI messages to have near equal intervals. My weighted keyboard tends to want to make a longer note-on duration and a shorter note-off duration, when played at fast rates. My solution is to play these notes by grabbing the end of the piano key with thumb and forefinger, and then pull the key up and down symmetrically. It\'s weird, but it works.

Of course, equal durations are simple in the sequencer/notator. Randomize/envelope the velocity a bit, and it really comes to life.

I guess what I\'m trying to say is that if you don\'t \"get it\" at first (as was my first reaction), you haven\'t played with the samples long enough. Mess with \'em a while, and you\'ll find the magic.

Again, Kirk, it\'s great that you\'re sharing this unique programming feature with the community at large. Best of luck with the response.

Solo String (Violin) FREE .gig file

I\'ve uploaded a FREE .gig file for anyone wishing to hear what the release triggers are all about. With these, you can play really fast repeated passages without that \"robotic\" sound so often associated with sample libraries. Note that some of these instruments are 16 velocity layers deep, so they won\'t convert load into Kontakt...(Kontakt only loads as many as 8 velocity layers, or so it seems) However, there are also instruments that only have 8 velocity layers as well.

I wish I could upload larger files so you could hear the repeats with longer notes, but I do not have the bandwidth on my site yet. Also note that these free instruments are only a very limited key range (C5 - C6) to avoid having HUGE download times. They\'re just to give you a \"teaser\" of an idea as to the sound and approach of the short, fast samples in a repeated note arena.

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/downloads.html

Best,
    Kirk Hunter
    www.kirkhunterstudios.com

Speaking of gypsy. What ever happened to that gypsy violin I saw on the KH site months ago? Is it part of the solo string library or is it gone?

It\'s still part of the KHSS lib. The first version didn\'t have the Gypsy or the double-bass, but the update (June 2003) added them.

Interestingly, the Dramatic Violin (Gypsy) gig is larger than the standard Solo Violin gig. It\'s 20,086,225 bytes vs. 17,903,609 bytes. However, it doesn\'t have quite as many articulations as the solo (no marcato, tremolo, trills, overtones or pizzicato). However, it does have more slides (nudge, 4th and octave). I chaulk this up to the intended styles for each - and the fact that the slide articulations have long tails.

To be honest, I\'ve not spent much time with the Gypsy - not because I don\'t like it. It\'s just because I\'m so happy with the solo violin, I\'m doing more of a classical style, and my favorite templates eat up all my RAM!

Hi Kirk Hunter if you\'re still monitoring.

You\'re comment about Kontakt\'s eight velocity layer limitation intrigued and alarmed me a bit. This is the first I\'ve heard about it. Can you elaborate? Is this a general limitation or just confined to your free violin?

Thanks
    Heath

The free download sounds great. Are there any MP3 Music demo\'s of the solo violin or cello libraries available to listen to? I couldn\'t find any on the site.

Hey Tarkio...

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/solodemos.html

right under your nose [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

cb

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    Hi Kirk Hunter if you\'re still monitoring.

You\'re comment about Kontakt\'s eight velocity layer limitation intrigued and alarmed me a bit. This is the first I\'ve heard about it. Can you elaborate? Is this a general limitation or just confined to your free violin?

Thanks
    Heath
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t know Kontakt\'s limitations with regard to programming native, I just know that trying to convert over more than 8 velocity layers yields a big mess. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The demos of the Solo Strings are at:
    http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/solodemos.html

Best,
    Kirk Hunter
    www.kirkhunterstudios.com

Ok. You\'ve done it. After downloading the example gig, I couldn\'t live without this any more. Placed my order last night.

Cheers,
    James

Go Back to forum