• Register
  • Help

Topic: Successfully Mimicking VSL legato with SI Strings(or other lib)

Share/Bookmark

Successfully Mimicking VSL legato with SI Strings(or other lib)

After spending some time with VSL and seeing how they achieved the legato phrasing so successfully, I think I could achieve a similiar result with SI strings in particular. The legato SI samples have a lot of life to them (more than VSL in my opinion) and are already very playable, but not like VSL. If I program a patch to be mono with a slight glide between notes (like old analog synth mono patches) so we are slightly bending into each note I think it might be close. Anyway, I\'ll give it a try and get back to the board.

Colin

Re: Successfully Mimicking VSL legato with SI Strings(or other lib)

You can mimic legato with GOS\'s slides. It works really well in the cellos for some lines. It will prolly work with KH\'s slides too. Still you\'re limited to the length of the slides, and making sure you dont \"over shoot\" the target note.

As far as it sounding like VSL\'s legato, without slides Two things. First it WILL sound like fake portamento, but depending on speed it might get by some people. Second the farther the range of the \"glide\" the the more fake ti will sound since you\'ll be pitch bending so far to reach the note.

Adding a little \"bump\" of pitch shift only helps so much, and it needs to be VERY quick. Also remember any \"bump\" in pitch shift will affect the release of the previous sample...a complete giveaway on anything but horn or maybe tuba.

You COULD get better results using two MIDI channels for the single legato line, but imagine the work and tediousness you\'d have to go through just to get those \"fake\" results. Even a tweak head like me would hate that.

If you like SI\'s string sound better than VSL, jsut layer them. Or even better build patches in VSL that have extremely quick decay times, so you only hear the \"legato\" part of the sample. Then layering that with SI. Its not perfect, but might get you where you want.

Wouldn\'t layering these result in a too big string section overall? Or can you get \"intimate\" with these layered sections e.g. in pp?

well one could collapse the stereo field of the VSL strings, thus making them slightly \"smaller\" sounding. Also there isn\'t a ton of ambience in VSL so you can do stuff like this. Its honestly the most flexible of the libs I have, in terms of manipulating the tone. This obviously doesn\'t mean its the only library one needs to use to get a particular sound [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My ears have perked up. I too feel like I\'m getting more \"emotion\" out of the SI strings.
    I have had good results from blending the SI stuff with the VSL stuff, with the SI being a little hotter in the mix.

I too will be watching. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I\'ve been meaning to ask this: isn\'t one already collapsing the size of VSL simply by panning it in the orchestra?

not really,

panning is basic \"power\" panning. You\'re taking reducing the volume of the \"side\" you are panning away from. Collapsing the stereo field would result in less of a stereo spread, but keeping the power from both channels. Thus makign for a bit more of \"placement\" in the stereo field.

And easy way to test the difference is to load an instrument up into two MIDI channels, then on one, use the basic MIDI pan slider to pan slightly to the left, and on the second use the DSP station\'s mixer pans, and actually pan the right channel to the left of center, and pan the left channel slightly less left.

You\'ll hear it \"collapse\" a bit, the thinner you go, the more mono the signal.

From here, volume tweaking and EQ help for mixing with other libs.

Doing this with libs with more ambience is generally a \"no-no\" tho IMO. There\'s the possiblity of phasing, or just a plain \"crappy sound\", since you destroy alot of what those samples are based on by doing so.

Which is why I love that SI went with placing instruments in traditional positions. Panning would have destroyed the amience effect without them having \"dry mics\" as well.

Go Back to forum