• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: No response to (de)crescendo with tied notes

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation No response to (de)crescendo with tied notes

In my latest piece, I use quite some tied notes and a lot of volume changes. I've encountered a strange phenomenon there. When hairpins are placed under tied notes (e.g. to reduce volume from mf to pp), then nothing happens, the whole duration of the tied notes remains mf. I love the Garritan wind instruments, but in this way, they seem suddenly partially worthless. Is there a solution to that problem?

Max

Re: No response to (de)crescendo with tied notes

Hey Max!

Are you working in Finale? It sounds like it to me. Is there any way you could post the music you're working on so one of us can see if we can duplicate the problem. I have Finale 2009-2012 and I've had my share of weird things that have happened in the past. This, however, has never happened to me. Doesn't mean it won't at some future date. I'd like to look into why this is happening.

Thanks!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    In my latest piece, I use quite some tied notes and a lot of volume changes. I've encountered a strange phenomenon there. When hairpins are placed under tied notes (e.g. to reduce volume from mf to pp), then nothing happens, the whole duration of the tied notes remains mf. I love the Garritan wind instruments, but in this way, they seem suddenly partially worthless. Is there a solution to that problem?

Max
    The woodwinds are extremely responsive to volume changes delivered via CC1, 11, or 2. Your Finale's set up to send out the proper MIDI controller with the hairpins isn't it?

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your reply. I don't work in Finale nowadays, but in Notion and it is impossible to enter whatever CC in Notion. Most libraries work very well together with Notion, but for some reason the GPO (either the integrated one or the VST library) doesn't perform hairpins under tied notes. They do fine under single notes, but it seems that cross-fading doesn't work with Aria (in Notion3 or 4). I asked Notion Tech support and the confirm that Aria doesn't support cross-fading (in Notion?). My technical skills are too limited to understand this. The only thing is that the hairpins have no effect at all. LSO and VSL libraries perform everything, GPO almost everything, but not under tied notes...

Max

That is strange, Max. I have never used Notion except for trying the demo once a long time ago. Hairpins with ties work fine in Finale using ARIA, so this is really unusual to me. I think you've done the right thing in contacting Notion Tech support. Hopefully they will come up with a workable solution.

Wish I could be of more help to you on this.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    That is strange, Max. I have never used Notion except for trying the demo once a long time ago. Hairpins with ties work fine in Finale using ARIA, so this is really unusual to me. I think you've done the right thing in contacting Notion Tech support. Hopefully they will come up with a workable solution.

Wish I could be of more help to you on this.
    And they didn't. They've put the blame on Aria, which shouldn't be capable of performing prolonged notes (they call it cross-fade). I used to work with Finale and I still have the most recent version, so I'll give it a try.

Max

I've just done the test. A simple flute part in Finale 2012 with a lot of tied whole notes and a varying volume from ppp to ff and back provided a good result, not as I would expect (the differences ware rather limited, but it worked). Which proves it has something to do with the Notion parameters. Getting back to the tech support is the only solution for now.

Max

And they didn't. They've put the blame on Aria, which shouldn't be capable of performing prolonged notes (they call it cross-fade)...
    Do you mean the Notion people said ARIA "shouldn't be capable of performing prolonged notes"--? That, of course, is poppycock. And they also said it involves a cross fade?--Also wrong. It just sounds to me like the hairpins aren't programmed for sending out CC1, which they need to be.

Randy

I'm not familiar with Notion but from what I read, Notion need a "rules" file to send the proper parameters to ARIA. these are not shipped with Notion

http://forum.notionmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1285

Hope this helps
    Éric Patenaude, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

I've just done the test. A simple flute part in Finale 2012 with a lot of tied whole notes and a varying volume from ppp to ff and back provided a good result, not as I would expect (the differences ware rather limited, but it worked)...
    I believe that's more Finale programming to do - setting how broad the dynamic range is. A Garritan flute will range from barely audible to loud when using the full MIDI dynamic range of 0 to 127.

Randy

Go Back to forum