• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stupid Giga...

Share/Bookmark

Stupid Giga...

I was composing somethin\', than when I went to pick an instrument in giga, it just shut down on me. Why does it do that? I was ready to punch through the screen.

Re: Stupid Giga...

Yeah don\'t punch the screen, Aaron - that\'s not where the culprit is. Punch the tower, or kick it depending on where it is.

I\'ve found dropping the tower out the window to be particularly gratifying! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But to try to answer your question...my Giga setup started doing that when I installed Microsoft Word on the machine. I didn\'t want to put Word on my Giga machine, but my business machine went down and I didn\'t think I\'d have too much trouble. Obviously I was wrong. If you have any Microsoft software installed like Word, Excel, etc. get rid of them and you should be fine. If not, keep asking! Someone is bound to have had similar problems.

Yes, I do have Microsoft Word on it. But I need it also for school. Eh....

Aaron... MS Office is the root of all - at the very least most - evil...

Hey Aaron,

Get PartitionMagic which includes BootMagic, and create a separate C: partition for your school work. When booting up you can choose if you want to boot up in your GigaStudio partition or in your MS-Word partition.

Hans

Hmmm, I have MS Office on my computer and it has never done anything like that to me before. It does however give me stupid \"error codes\" telling me the instrument didn\'t load properly. If anyone can figure THAT stupid crap out, I\'ll be indebted to them.

Usually though Aaron it\'s good to have a C: partition with all your basic OS and programs, that way if things get too screwed up you can format and have a nice clean slate. You should give that a try.

Another product you can try is Bootus,
    http://www.boot-us.com/

Its cheap and it works and its very very good!!! Been using it for awhile now... You can also try it out first... Only disadvantage though, you need to start from scratch (ie format your whole HDD)... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Procedure:
    (1) Create 2 partitions: 1 for music and 1 for general stuff
    (2) Install OS on either partition
    (3) Install Boot-us and hide the partition. If you restart your computer you can\'t see the OS you just installed
    (4) Install the OS on the other partition
    (5) Install Boot-us and install Boot manager. Select your options and you are away!!!

It took me about 1 hour 20mins to install 2 OS in 2 partitions and everything now works like a dandy!!!

meeehoon

What exactly does that do that Windows doesn\'t already do? You can make a dual boot system exactly as you have described it without \"boot-us.\"

Originally posted by vaultcomplex:
    What exactly does that do that Windows doesn\'t already do? You can make a dual boot system exactly as you have described it without \"boot-us.\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Aye, I used Windows to create a dual boot system last time but didn\'t like it primarily because you can alter the other partition\'s files, meaning to say that if you load up Windows in one partition, all the system files, program files etc of the other partition is visible on the C:. So if there\'s ever a time when I want to completely re-format one partition, you can\'t do it without affecting the other partition. With Boot-US, you can True Hide one partition so that its not visible and do all you like with the other partition without affecting the hidden one.

What\'s more, with the Boot-US boot manager (I am sure all other boot managers have this function), you can also select the drives you want visible when you boot up whichever partition. For example, I have the following on my computer,
    (1) normal partition
    (2) music partition
    (3) Normal data drive, d:\\
    (4) Logic Audio file drive, e:\\
    (5) Samples drive, f:\\

I can configure it such that when I load the normal partition, only drive d:\\ is visible. This prevents others (mum, dad, gf, sister) from tampering with the e:\\ and f:\\. I don\'t think you can do that with the Windows boot manager though? I could be wrong...

meeehoon

Go Back to forum