• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB, soundcards and quality

Share/Bookmark

JABB, soundcards and quality

I experiment with algorithmic composition and have home-grown software that produces compositions in MIDI format.
    I am having a few problems with both quality and quantity of ARIA v1.504 when playing these MIDI files. I had the same problem with previous versions of ARIA.
    The quantity issue is that on certain files certain channels will not play, despite the same channels playing on other files. For example, the drums, despite being on channel 10, will only play in OM mode. Others will not play at all unless I use an instrument like a piano, say.
    The quality issue is that some of the woodwind instruments sound poor, guitars too. .
    Now as I can reason it ARIA will interface via an api with the soundcard driver, without source and hardware diagrams I can’t be sure.
    That driver can be good or bad and I guess with a standard soundcard is just adequate.
    Now I know for end-user performance reasons a good soundcard is required – so someone listening to the playback through ARIA has the best possible experience – but I use Acoustica to then apply EQ and record the output to MP3. So the end user listens to the MP3 not ARIA through a soundcard per se,
    I guess Acoustica takes the output from the driver, i.e. after the driver has prepared the signal for the soundcard hardware, but I don’t know. I also have Audacity that I guess would work in a similar way to Acoustice.
    Can anyone confirm the dataflows?
    Will a quality soundcard (and its driver) be a solution to the quality and quantity issues I refer to above with the recorded MP3?
    By the way saving as a WAV makes no difference.
    Thanks
    Eddie Reader

Re: JABB, soundcards and quality

Quote Originally Posted by readerea View Post
    I experiment with algorithmic composition and have home-grown software that produces compositions in MIDI format.
    I am having a few problems with both quality and quantity of ARIA v1.504 when playing these MIDI files. I had the same problem with previous versions of ARIA.
    The quantity issue is that on certain files certain channels will not play, despite the same channels playing on other files. For example, the drums, despite being on channel 10, will only play in OM mode. Others will not play at all unless I use an instrument like a piano, say.
    The quality issue is that some of the woodwind instruments sound poor, guitars too. .
    Now as I can reason it ARIA will interface via an api with the soundcard driver, without source and hardware diagrams I can’t be sure.
    That driver can be good or bad and I guess with a standard soundcard is just adequate.
    Now I know for end-user performance reasons a good soundcard is required – so someone listening to the playback through ARIA has the best possible experience – but I use Acoustica to then apply EQ and record the output to MP3. So the end user listens to the MP3 not ARIA through a soundcard per se,
    I guess Acoustica takes the output from the driver, i.e. after the driver has prepared the signal for the soundcard hardware, but I don’t know. I also have Audacity that I guess would work in a similar way to Acoustice.
    Can anyone confirm the dataflows?
    Will a quality soundcard (and its driver) be a solution to the quality and quantity issues I refer to above with the recorded MP3?
    By the way saving as a WAV makes no difference.
    Thanks
    Eddie Reader
    Running as a vst resolves the missing channels issue.

Go Back to forum