• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do you find "lick based" libraries useful?

Share/Bookmark

Do you find "lick based" libraries useful?

This sort of ties in with my QL Guitar/Bass question. I generally stay away from them because I find them limiting...but I was curious if they were in widespread use. I don\'t mean Acid stuff, but libraries which contain musical phrases of a certain instrument...like Memphis Horns and QL Guitars and Basses

Re: Do you find "lick based" libraries useful?

They are antagonistic toward creativity and seem like cheating to me.

Yup, but I think you´re barking the wrong tree, because QL
    Guitars and Bass are all multisamples not licks as I know !!!

Originally posted by marco b:
    Yup, but I think you´re barking the wrong tree, because QL
    Guitars and Bass are all multisamples not licks as I know !!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No kidding?

Originally posted by sporter:
    This sort of ties in with my QL Guitar/Bass question. I generally stay away from them because I find them limiting...but I was curious if they were in widespread use. I don\'t mean Acid stuff, but libraries which contain musical phrases of a certain instrument...like Memphis Horns and QL Guitars and Basses
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi,

I like and use licks/phrases when I need them, and find it inspiring when they work out well.

I don\'t play the guitar and don\'t fancy working with a guitarist, so I have used guitar phrases in my music. Also, I have both Virtual Guitarist and Virtual Guitarist Electric Edition.

I like brass sections in my music, and have used horn riffs from various cds, including Killer Horns 1 and Chronic Horns 1&2.

However, I am now contemplating buying the Kick-*** Brass multisampled horn section for use in Halion. This - if it works as advertised and as stated in the SOS review this month - should give great flexibility.

The one drawback of these phrase libraries is that they are very quickly used up, since not everything on them will be of interest - although with clever cutting and pasting more mileage can be had...

All the best,

Magnus

Sporter, yea... as mentioned before...the Quantum Leap Guitar & Bass doesn\'t have phrases at all... it\'s all samples. And pretty good ones too.... \"I love it!\" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Gary

Originally posted by Magnus N:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by sporter:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi,

I like and use licks/phrases when I need them, and find it inspiring when they work out well.

I don\'t play the guitar and don\'t fancy working with a guitarist, so I have used guitar phrases in my music. Also, I have both Virtual Guitarist and Virtual Guitarist Electric Edition.

I like brass sections in my music, and have used horn riffs from various cds, including Killer Horns 1 and Chronic Horns 1&2.

However, I am now contemplating buying the Kick-*** Brass multisampled horn section for use in Halion. This - if it works as advertised and as stated in the SOS review this month - should give great flexibility.

The one drawback of these phrase libraries is that they are very quickly used up, since not everything on them will be of interest - although with clever cutting and pasting more mileage can be had...

All the best,

Magnus
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yep, my sentiments exactly. I put Virtual Guitars in a different class altogether, however. They are extremely easy to use, and quire flexible.

Let me know about the Kick A s s horns. Looks very interesting...

Go Back to forum