• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lament

Share/Bookmark

Lament

I am in Mexico, where over 30000 young man died in the past 2 years fighting the so called drug war. I saw some mothers crying over the death of their son. Hence this piece for strings and choir.
    This is the first one I made after Randy's advice to work not only in MIDI but audio tracks also. It works much better, thanks Randy.
    https://www.box.com/s/tzg4njumucz9oicyj5ol

Ted
    Last edited by tedvanya; 01-26-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: wrong address

Re: Lament

Hello Ted,

The link is taking me to box.net but not to you music file.

Are you selecting the little down arrow box to the right of your music file that says more options when you put the hand curser over it.

Then you navigate to down to share>get link to file and copy that link and paste it into your post.

https://www.box.com/s/tzg4njumucz9oicyj5ol

Nobody dropped you on your head, but I am sure somebody did this to me...
    This is the first time I used the Box, if this is an excuse..
    Thanks a lot...

Ted

Hi, Ted - It's great to see you here with some music for us.

"Lament" is beautiful in its deep melancholy. The strings and choir are married in this piece like two pallbearers at a funeral, working in perfect synchronization as they convey their precious load.

I'm glad you found my recording tip useful, but only you can take credit for the wonderful sounding results you have in this recording. Very well done.

One tech note - The music ends at 2:52, but your MP3 ends at 4:31. You're working in Sonar, correct? When you exported your mix, there had to be some stray data way beyond the end of the music, and Sonar assumes that's part of the project. Usually stray data like that is an extra node or two on an envelope. Ending up with mixes that have this dead air at the end is common. One should get in the habit of taking a good look at exports, making sure they not only sound right, but are the correct length. Using an additional sound editing program, like Audacity (free) or Sound Forge is something to start doing as a musician moves forward in his development. In a sound editor, problems like this are easily seen and fixed.

It can be difficult to track down all the stray data in a project, so the easiest thing to do is to make sure you're only selecting the section in your time line that contains the music. You left click and drag through the time line to highlight only the section of your project that has your MIDI and/or audio clips. The most sure way to do this is to zoom out until all the clips are visible on the screen, then start at the end of the music, not the beginning. Sweep towards the left until you come to the start. A lot of people leave an empty measure at the start of a project, so of course leave that out of your selection also.

Just be sure that you've left enough room at the end to include the tail of your reverb. You don't want to chop that off.

1) Double click any track header. That selects all the tracks - They turn black.
    2) Sweep your cursor from the end of the project, beyond the reverb tail, to the beginning.
    3) When you export, you'll have only your actual music.

Thank you for posting this haunting Lament.

Randy

Thanks for your kind words.
    I just noticed the empty time. Thanks and will correct it.
    In turn, I listened to your Vampyr yesterday. It is simply great. So well mixes with the movie, picking the mood of the film-making long time ago. I really enjoyed it. Thanks.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Thanks for your kind words.
    I just noticed the empty time. Thanks and will correct it.
    In turn, I listened to your Vampyr yesterday. It is simply great. So well mixes with the movie, picking the mood of the film-making long time ago. I really enjoyed it. Thanks.

Ted
    Hi, Ted - It's easy enough to trim off the extra length on your music file, so I'm glad you caught that too.

And thank you so much for your kind words about my "Vampyr" project. I really appreciate you letting me know you heard it and enjoyed. That was a very engrossing project.

Hope to hear more of your music soon!

Randy

Hi Ted,

I loved your Lament. It was truly moving.

Besides the space at the end I can't find anything you need to do differently with it's rendering.

Structurally I thought maybe it could use a section where the choir drops out for a longer period and the orchestra swells a bit with maybe a short solo or string melody and then bring back the choir. I think it would give it more interest and possibly make a stronger statement. Just an idea.

I see you are wintering in Mexico. I might be doing that in a year or two in the Veracruz, Boca Del Rio area. We have family there and in Mexico City which is just a three hour drive if you do 100 mph. Which I have done.

There is a lot of money in drugs and there are a lot of poor, desperate Mexicans that are willing to die for it. And there is corruption everywhere.

Phil

Hola Phil:

Thanks for your comments. I agree with your suggestion and if I got the time and inspiration, I'll do it.
    We are in the Yucatan, on the north shore of the peninsula, on the beach we built a small house in Telchac Puerto. We sure enjoy the weather and the kind Mayan fisherman in the village. We go back to Ontario in early May.
    If you ever decide to visit Chitzenitza, you would drive by us, so I hope we could meet?
    Again, thanks and I'll follow your postings....

Ted

Hi Ted,

This is sooooo beautiful and dramatic. It certainly reflects your emotion by the sight of all these crying mothers over the many wasted young lives. Your music really evokes these sad feelings even to a European listener, never having been confronted at all with these terrible drug crimes.

Thank you!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Ted,

This is sooooo beautiful and dramatic. It certainly reflects your emotion by the sight of all these crying mothers over the many wasted young lives. Your music really evokes these sad feelings even to a European listener, never having been confronted at all with these terrible drug crimes.

Thank you!

Max
    Dear Max:

Why did you have to write so nicely? I am 85, and I have tears in my eye (I have only one, the other was destroyed by a Soviet solger hitiing my face with a horswip WW2). I have also seen a picture of a husband in Kabul, sitting on top of the rubble of his house, his wife and three children dead under the house, destryed by US bombs. The insanity of all what is going on!
    Thank you very much for your kind words. I think we feel the same way.
    Danke, filmals!

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast