• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Crunch Time Re: solo strings

Share/Bookmark

Crunch Time Re: solo strings

Hello all
    I am well aware that this has been discussed before - I have just been reading all the posts I could find.
    Do I buy DDSS which have very good reviews but which I can\'t say I am that impressed with, or do I buy Xsamples 10 & 11 for about the same price? I believe Xsample has no vibrato - is it possible to add some in? (I\'m quite new to gig still!)
    I do have a tight budget so buying both aint an option at the moment! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks
    Lloyd

Re: Crunch Time Re: solo strings

whats the end format/style of music?

Personally I hate fake/lfo vibrato so I\'d say DDSS

Have you thought about Kirk Hunters new solo string lib? I believe he only has the violin now, but it probably offers more than both of the above libs.

I\'d say hold out just a bit longer and check out the completed versions of the KH solo strings before making a decision. From everything I can tell from the emails Kirk has sent, he\'s doing some really amazing work on \'em right now. The solo violin is pretty fantastic even in it\'s beta form... I was watching The Red Violin last night, and just before sleep sat down and played with it, and I gotta say it actually didn\'t disapoint my ears the way I expected any sampled violin would after hearing almost three hours of that soundtrack.

I\'m working on some music right now with the violin matched with SI, and will be replacing much of the SI sections with the solo strings once they are available. I\'ll post a link here once I\'m done.

Also, a big selling point for me was the inclusion of a double bass in the KH lib. The Xsamples strings include this, but the character of the KH sold me quickly overall. I\'d wait a few more weeks and give it a listen if you can hold out a little longer.

-mike-

Hi Mike.

Expect your solo cello (beta legato/slides) soon. They all went out in the mail today.

Thanks,
    Kirk Hunter
    www.kirkhunterstudios.com
    MuzkGuy@aol.com

so now thats more than just a violin.

I know price is an issue with regards to adverting $$$ so Email Kirk to find out what the deal is.

I personally think that his lib and Donnie\'s new solo strings will give more variation on sound than the available solo strings.

have yet to try either, but I doubt either any less than the above libs, and to be honest at the price that I thin KH is going for, I\'m still on the verge of buying (I dont need solo strings jsut yet).

his stuff is definitely easy on the wallet.

Damn FX for replacing vampires with doctors in a foriegn land that are comedic....bah tuesdays now have a whole to be filled by.....sitcoms?...grrr

not that joey and rachel and george and jerry are bad, its just that TUESDAYS ARE SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME alteast a full 6 hours off, and now I\'m bored

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    so now thats more than just a violin.

Damn FX for replacing vampires with doctors in a foriegn land that are comedic....bah tuesdays now have a whole to be filled by.....sitcoms?...grrr

not that joey and rachel and george and jerry are bad, its just that TUESDAYS ARE SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME alteast a full 6 hours off, and now I\'m bored
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Lloyd Buck:
    Hello all
    I am well aware that this has been discussed before - I have just been reading all the posts I could find.
    Do I buy DDSS which have very good reviews but which I can\'t say I am that impressed with, or do I buy Xsamples 10 & 11 for about the same price? I believe Xsample has no vibrato - is it possible to add some in? (I\'m quite new to gig still!)
    I do have a tight budget so buying both aint an option at the moment! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks
    Lloyd
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So far I have the beta solo violin, viola and cello, and I think they are great for the money. Nice recording, nice big wide vibrato, juicey slides, some nice martele, marcato\'s.

Rick

so what I\'m not supposed to get a night off?

I mean when I\'m bored for an hour on tuesdays that means I\'m in fron of this damn thing (laptop)

which means.......more tweaking

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

On the basis of using KH Virtuouso Strings, I barely thought twice before ordering the Solo Strings though they weren\'t completed yet.

Well, actually, I thought more than twice about it... had some doubts about some aspects of the demos, but Kirk\'s answers to my email settled it for me.

Judging from what\'s been shipped so far, if the library fills out as advertised, this will be one soulful set of solo strings.
    Gabriel

Could you please add a volume with natural vibrato? The \'by hand\' vibrato does not sound natural, this type of sound does not work for me? What would it take to create a new volume with natural vibrato?

Go Back to forum