• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Topic: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    EDIT: Clarification - You can update your ARIA Engine to 1.625 via the Sforzando link below. This update was posted at Plogue on 1/23/13. The rest of this post explains:
    ---------------------------------------------
    Awhile back when I discovered that my Autoharp SFZ instrument wasn't working correctly anymore, it turned out that I'd discovered a new bug - not in Autoharp, but in ARIA.

    In the newest update for ARIA, the pitch bend opcoding has been corrected so Autoharp works perfectly again, just as it did when I first released it last year.

    BUT - this update for the Garritan ARIA Player isn't publicly available yet. That should happen fairly soon.

    MEANWHILE - Plogue, the ARIA developers, have their own SFZ player "Sforzando" which uses the same ARIA Engine. Today they've released the update for Sforzando - and it's freely available to everyone. Autoharp works perfectly in it, because, as explained above, this player uses the same identical engine as the ARIA you're accustomed to.

    In other words, if you go to this download page at Plogue and get the Sforzando update, you'll be updating your engine when you install it:

    Free Sforzando download

    Naturally I'm very happy that Autoharp works again, but I'm also very happy that a number of bugs have been fixed in this latest ARIA Engine update. I recommend you get it!

    And--Autoharp owners - You don't need a new copy of the instrument's SFZ file, because nothing had to be changed. You just need to update your ARIA Engine.

    The Autoharp

    Randy

  2. #2

    Re: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    Just to clarify, Randy, are you saying that by installing Sforzando, the Aria engine automatically becomes updated to version 1.625? i.e. that I can then load up to 16 instruments in Aria, which will then work properly, as does a single instrument in Sforzando?

    If so, thank you very much for posting this piece of information.

    Kind regards,
    John.

    Answering my own post - yes, as well as installing the program sforzando, it also updates the Aria engine to version 1.625.

  3. #3

    Re: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    Just to clarify, Randy, are you saying that by installing Sforzando, the Aria engine automatically becomes updated to version 1.625? i.e. that I can then load up to 16 instruments in Aria, which will then work properly, as does a single instrument in Sforzando?

    If so, thank you very much for posting this piece of information.

    Kind regards,
    John.

    Answering my own post - yes, as well as installing the program sforzando, it also updates the Aria engine to version 1.625.
    Hi, John - I came to answer your post, and see you already found out the answer. Yeah! Installing Plogue's new update to their ARIA-based Sforzando SFZ player updates the ARIA Engine on your computer, because, as Chad reminded me yesterday:

    "...all ARIA products are composed of 2 parts. A GUI 'player' which is the product, and the ARIA Engine. So the Garritan ARIA Player, Steinway, Chipsounds, and Sforzando all share the same Engine, even though their GUIS and product IDs are unique..."

    Installing Sforzando now is a way to get ahead of the updating game. Later, the Garritan ARIA version of the update will be available, and it may include some changes in the Garritan ARIA player, I don't know for sure. But meanwhile, we can benefit from bug fixes in the new Engine - including the pitch bend problem that was discovered when my Autoharp was temporarily broken. It relies on pitch bend to shift between some sample layers, something critical to its design - now that works again.

    But the rest of your post I don't understand. You asked, "...I can then load up to 16 instruments in Aria, which will then work properly, as does a single instrument in Sforzando?..." - There have always been 16 slots in ARIA, so the user can potentially load 16 instruments in each instance. You weren't able to do that before--?

    Randy

  4. #4

    Re: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    Hi Randy,

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    But the rest of your post I don't understand. You asked, "...I can then load up to 16 instruments in Aria, which will then work properly, as does a single instrument in Sforzando?..." - There have always been 16 slots in ARIA, so the user can potentially load 16 instruments in each instance. You weren't able to do that before--?
    Yes, yes, I was just pointing out, for those who may not yet have come across sforzando, that it just loads a single instrument as compared to Aria's sixteen.

    I like the name SForZando too, clever.

    Over in the KVR forum many people are really appreciative of the fact that Plogue has released a free, high quality, SFZ based sample player.

    Kind regards,
    John.

  5. #5

    Re: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    ...I was just pointing out, for those who may not yet have come across sforzando, that it just loads a single instrument as compared to Aria's sixteen...
    Ah! Thanks for the clarification, John. It sounded like you were meaning that ARIA hadn't been working properly for you, that you hadn't been able to load 16 instruments before now. Now it's clear what you meant.

    That's right - the very cleverly named Sforzando Player can load one SFZ file at a time. It has one slot, compared to the Garritan ARIA's sixteen. Easy to load any instrument you want though - just drag the SFZ file on to Sforzando, and it loads. The whole interface will look very familiar to ARIA users. For instance there's the Controls tab with all the controls available for an instrument, just as in ARIA.

    Thanks again, John.

    Randy

  6. #6
    Senior Member tedvanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada,winter Mexico
    Posts
    972

    Re: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    Excuse my soft head-please.
    I downloaded the Sforzando as you suggested, because I am reading and trusting your advise. But, while I would like to have the new version of Sforzando-Aria, it is still not clear to me what would happen to my (beloved) Aria? I am using two instances of it now in Sonar X1, some 22 instruments total, now I will have (if I install it) Sforzando, Aria is gone, and I can load only one instrument? Or, my Aria will be updated and Sforzando will be an additional VST?
    Please forgive me Randy for asking you to explain again to

    Ted
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Ah! Thanks for the clarification, John. It sounded like you were meaning that ARIA hadn't been working properly for you, that you hadn't been able to load 16 instruments before now. Now it's clear what you meant.

    That's right - the very cleverly named Sforzando Player can load one SFZ file at a time. It has one slot, compared to the Garritan ARIA's sixteen. Easy to load any instrument you want though - just drag the SFZ file on to Sforzando, and it loads. The whole interface will look very familiar to ARIA users. For instance there's the Controls tab with all the controls available for an instrument, just as in ARIA.

    Thanks again, John.

    Randy

  7. #7

    Re: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Excuse my soft head-please.
    I downloaded the Sforzando as you suggested, because I am reading and trusting your advise. But, while I would like to have the new version of Sforzando-Aria, it is still not clear to me what would happen to my (beloved) Aria? I am using two instances of it now in Sonar X1, some 22 instruments total, now I will have (if I install it) Sforzando, Aria is gone, and I can load only one instrument? Or, my Aria will be updated and Sforzando will be an additional VST?
    Please forgive me Randy for asking you to explain again to

    Ted
    Hi, Ted - Glad you spoke up with the question.

    Quickest reassurance I can give you is that at this very minute, I'm working in Sonar with several instances of ARIA open and working as always. This is post-Sforzando install.

    So, you did misunderstand. Sforzando is the free SFZ player from Plogue, but it doesn't replace ARIA. As Chad, an ARIA programmer said, "...the Garritan ARIA Player, Steinway, Chipsounds, and Sforzando all share the same Engine, even though their GUIS and product IDs are unique..."

    Get that? The Garritan ARIA Player and the ARIA Engine are two different components.

    So, ARIA and Sforzando will share the ARIA Engine on your computer, but they have completely different interfaces - GUIs. ARIA will behave just as it always has for you, only better.

    Randy

  8. #8
    Senior Member tedvanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada,winter Mexico
    Posts
    972

    Re: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    May the God of soft-headed old fools bless you.
    I am installing.

    Thanks a lot

    Ted

  9. #9
    Senior Member Tom_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ellendale, ND
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    I have downloaded Sforzando. How do I know for sure the Aria engine in Aria has been updated? I can find no version statement.

  10. #10

    Re: ARIA Engine update=Autoharp works again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I have downloaded Sforzando. How do I know for sure the Aria engine in Aria has been updated? I can find no version statement.
    Once you install it, on the Settings tab in ARIA, towards the bottom left it will say "ARIA Engine v1.625."

    Randy

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •