• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Giga 3... A different view!

Share/Bookmark

Giga 3... A different view!

Now before I start I know this is not going to be a popular view but I would love to know if it\'s just me that thinks this way.

I got into the Giga platform when gigasampler first came out and being a big sampler user it changed my world.... big samples.. hurray.. goodbye crap loops!!! Gigastudio came along and ..Yay.. things get better still. And then came Tascam... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    But.... it\'s at this point where I seem to think differently from a lot of people here.

Has there been much/any development (that we can see!) in the product since then... er.. no!.. Have Tascam handled this product well... er.. not really.. and yet in a studio full of samplers(S6K,E4,VP9000,Kontact,Halion,MPC) why is it that I turn to gigastudio first each time..?

Simple.. it\'s one of the few programs/interfaces which doesn\'t get in the way of making music. Use it for what it is (essentially a sample playback machine w.tweaks!), use decent s/cards (pulsar 2s) and MAKE MUSIC!!

All I seem to read about recently is how Tascam is messing us around and don\'t believe in the product,... how V3 will have to do this, that and the other and how all of a sudden Gigastudio is crap.

Of course we all want more, 24bit,VSTfx it\'s all great and I\'m sure it will happen... but whilst we\'re waiting for it, use what is still a great simple program (which was WAY ahead of it\'s time)and instead of moaning use it to it\'s already great potential, buy some of the unparalled libraries and write music!

I wonder if Debussy was waiting for the HB pencil before he could write \"La Mer\", Or what if the Beatles had said \"we can\'t do this on a four track (or 2!).. we\'ll wait until 16 track comes along\"! Trevor Horn saying \"8-bit Fairlights sound ****... I\'ll wait for Series 3\"... I think not!!

At the end of the day.. Giga 2.5 has not stopped me doing anything that I\'ve wanted to do with the program... ever!

I don\'t want it to be an all-singing-all-dancing program... If I want a soundmangling-granular-sampler-synth I use Reaktor or something.. If I want the most natural, easy to use, realistic sampler Giga wins everyday! If it never makes it to v.3 I will still be using it for years to come!!

Sorry about this outburst but I\'m just sick of the \"Tascam / Giga have lost it\" threads that go on forever and bore me ****less! This is just a personal opinion... still.. I can\'t wait for V.3!!!!

Ty

Re: Giga 3... A different view!

I can\'t agree more with you. I Have been using Giga 2.5 ever since it\'s release. The fact is I like it a lot. Everyone now seems to be using Kontakt around here. And now it seems that the new sample libaries are chosing Kontakt as there first choice.

It does fustrate me a little bit, becasue I know and love Giga. I like to keep everything in the one sampler. However with the release of Garritian Personal Orchesta only being in Kontakt format. It really makes you think, am I using the right sampler? I trust Gary to make the right choice. So I am pretty sure I\'ll just have to live with using both Gigastudio and now Kontakt as a plug in. I may have to deal with lag, but such is life. I\'ll probally have to click track everthing and move the audio tracks manually. What\'s 10 mins extra for each song. However there may be no lag, i don\'t know. I\'m sure i\'ll work out an easy way to deal with it. So it\'s no big deal.

So yes I agree with everything you said Ty.

I also use Creamware (Pusar 2, Luna 2). Creamware really do make great stuff [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

At the end of the day. Who cares what you use. As long as it works for you. Making music is what it\'s all about. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Oui Oui! Viva la Gigasampler! or should that be viva le Gigasampler?

I basically agree as well. Giga is a great and unique workhorse. There are reasons that Giga needs to be updated though. We were forced to abandon giga for our latest releases, because of it\'s shortcomings. People just don\'t like being left in the dark and waiting 3 years. That was really the source of all the animosity.

I understand Nick..

I realise that it\'s frustrating but I just wanted to put into context the fact that giga is still a great platform.

Yes.. for the really complex libraries it may be showing it\'s age slightly.. and yes.. Tascam HAVE just sat on their laurels for to long.. but for a program that hasn\'t been updated for 3 years, when I\'ve got multiple systems running some big libraries.. it\'s still very VERY impressive.

Recent forums just seemed to imply.. \"Jump overboard.. HMS Gigastudio is sinking!!\"... it isn\'t!!!! With studio gear I\'ve always gone for the \"Does-one-thing-well\" rather than the \"Jack-of-all-trades\" route and for me Gigastudio...AS IT IS ...is still the best Sample Player.

Problem is.. we always want more! when V3 (eventually!) comes out it will probably blow Kontakt (yes, an equally great, but different program!) out of the water, Then NI will come back with their next brilliant version... and so the cycle continues!!!

We\'ll never satisfied...Great isn\'t it! We want the world.... someone will develop a version which gives it us!!!! Hurray!!

Ty

Originally posted by Joanne Babunovic:
    Oui Oui! Viva la Gigasampler! or should that be viva le Gigasampler?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Vive le Gigasampler ! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

sampleur? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Whether it blows away the competition or not, their biggest hurdle isn\'t features, it\'s customer relations. I feel lucky because I\'m one of those persons whose never had a major problem with the software. On top of that, I understand the routing \"limitations\" and end up using two sets of audio hardware to give myself the most flexible setup. HOWEVER, most loyal customers have demanded that giga at least stay up-to-date with the rest of the soft sampling world -- VST/DX on both ends, 24-bit support, copy protection, etc. And over a long period of time those same customers didn\'t see any commitment whatsoever from Tascam\'s side to meet those demands. Now, Tascam did spit out a bunch of updates on the 2.x branch (whether you like their release schedule or not), but a few point releases over a few years certainly isn\'t enough to inspire confidence in a consumer.

The fact is that in my case -- a hobbiest/home recordist -- it\'s not likely that I will upgrade to 3.0 even when it comes out. If it really does blow the competition away in terms of features and generational/evolutionary advances, then you can be sure that the base 128 voice model will be $500 street with MAYBE a $300 upgrade from my current Giga96 version. The high end version will probably be on the order of $700 street. Just speculation, of course. But in any case, those are costs that I can\'t justify for myself since a.) I can already route GS audio through VST/DX effects, and b.) well-dithered 16-bit output can be resampled at 24-bits during the recording process. I could use a little more polyphony, but that\'s about it.

But as someone said in another thread on this subject -- Tascam can still deliver a great product thanks to (more of) the Nemesys team\'s hard work, but if Tascam doesn\'t follow through then they\'ll be in the same boat they\'re in now in two years.

Problem is.. we always want more! when V3 (eventually!) comes out it will probably blow Kontakt (yes, an equally great, but different program!) out of the water, Then NI will come back with their next brilliant version... and so the cycle continues!!!

We\'ll never satisfied...Great isn\'t it! We want the world.... someone will develop a version which gives it us!!!! Hurray!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think it\'s very important to always want more. That is how we advance as a human race! If we were satisfied with current technology, we\'d be using 8-bit 22khz samplers like the Mirage and all of our sample libraries would fit on a few floppies! Think about it! Without us wanting more there would be no Gigasampler! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hi Midphase

Oh don\'t get me wrong.. I want the world and then some... but I don\'t really see the point in slagging off what we\'ve already got? Does that make sense...?

I want Cameron Diaz, but don\'t slag off my girlfriend because she doesn\'t look like her!! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast