• Register
  • Help

Topic: Howard Hanson Symphony No. 3, Movement 3 - Revise

Share/Bookmark

Howard Hanson Symphony No. 3, Movement 3 - Revise

I haven't posted anything in forever. Well, it's way past time. I am posting a NEW version of something I worked on years ago. Quick synopsis.

Quite some time ago I did a Wind Ensemble transcription of Howard Hanson's orchestral work Symphony No. 3. It's been finished for a while but it never has had a final edit. For reasons I can't get into right now I am home for a couple of months. In that time I hope to finish everything up and get this to the publisher soon. One thing I have never been able to get is a decent recording even using Finale. I love Finale, but it is, first and foremost a music composition program. With the big help of Randy Bowser and some others, I finally figured out how to use Sonar X1. It took me some time, but was it ever worth it. What a difference! The rendering is so much better.

I am still a grade one amateur with Sonar and still have a long way to go. I learn something new just about every day I use it. The rendering may not be perfect, but it is much better than what I had before. I'm working on the other movements and hope to have them done soon.

Oh, and why did I pick the third movement? No reason. Just because!

Enjoy!

Gary

https://www.box.com/shared/nykxk0o7n0
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: Howard Hanson Symphony No. 3, Movement 3 - Revise

ouch.. please add some reverb to that recording.

it's so dry.

(by the way I love that movement, well, I love the whole symphony)

I really love that movement, and it mover! Nice rhythmic pattern, one time dominating, another time sleeping in the background.

But I agree, it would sound a lot better with some reverb or still better, some Garritan Convolution to add space to your composition.

Thanks for sharing,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    I haven't posted anything in forever. Well, it's way past time. I am posting a NEW version of something I worked on years ago...
    Quite some time ago I did a Wind Ensemble transcription of Howard Hanson's orchestral work Symphony No. 3. It's been finished for a while but it never has had a final edit...
    I love Finale, but it is, first and foremost a music composition program. With the big help of Randy Bowser and some others, I finally figured out how to use Sonar X1. It took me some time, but was it ever worth it. What a difference! The rendering is so much better...
    Gary! You're right - it is indeed high time to hear more music from you - So thanks for posting this.

It's an exciting movement - I can understand why you were attracted to working on it for so long. And I can hear your progress in using Sonar. The volume balances between sections of the orchestra seem to be working better. Now - time to roll up sleeves and do some more, and I hope you're up for it.

It sounds to me like you've used reverb, but the venue size is too small, and there's not enough effected signal. I think maybe you're using a Sonar reverb plugin in the Console View? That is the preferred way to work in DAW software, but of course there's also the option of using either one of the reverbs available in ARIA - Convolution reverb, or Ambience.

So, that's easy enough - Choose a reverb more appropriate for full orchestra - some Concert Hall. Then, turn the Sends up, either on Sonar or in ARIA. We need to get the impression that this is being played in a venue large enough for the ensemble. It's easy to get too wet, drowning the music in a wash of reverb, so don't go overboard, but do add sufficient reverb to give the sound air and help us have the impression of a live concert.

There's a second issue - panning. Your recording is sounding almost monophonic. I can hear a slight stereo spread, but not nearly enough. If you're relying on ARIA for panning, use appropriate settings as per a reasonable seating chart. If you're bouncing to audio, then use Sonar's panning - Either way, you need to spread the musicians out much more so they don't sound like they're sitting on top of each other. No one instrument or group should be in the same slot in that stereo field.

It's really not a tremendous amount of work - Just get the reverb going on, do some appropriate panning, and this will be a much more successful recording.

Randy

Well thank you all for your comments. I've done some revising. There's a little bit more reverb. Not quite so dry. But I didn't want it to sound like it was in a cathedral either. I spent some time listening to the original recording directed by the master himself. I realized my version wasn't quite as fast as what Hanson himself directed. So I sped up the tempo. Of course, Randy can tell you how that screwed me up. What I thought was going to be a 1 hour touch up took me most of the day. I also found the horns were not "brassy enough" so I added horn overlay which added a lot to the beginning.

So here's take two:

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Take Two reflects time well spent on improvements. The instruments sound more natural with the slight increase in reverb. Even though there's some unconventional panning here, e.g. high woodwinds way over to the right with brass, there's more three dimensionality in the mix now - And the brisker tempo was a good idea. Glad our feedback was encouraging, not discouraging, Gary.

Randy

Re: Howard Hanson Symphony No. 3, Movement 3 - Another revision

OK.

Thanks to Randy's help, I've updated this again. I hope this sounds better. I took a lot of his suggestions. I also listened to the advice for more reverb. I think it's better placed. The instruments are more spread out in a conventional concert band/wind ensemble format. The tempo is a bit faster reflecting what I heard from the original orchestral recording. Also the french horns are more "brassy" at the beginning, again as I heard it from the original.

Look forward to any feedback. Cheers!

Great job - and thanks for putting this on my radar screen! Hanson is an underrated composer; well maybe not underrated, but under-performed. Kudos for all the work you put into this.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum