• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Polyphony topped out!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Polyphony topped out!!!!

Okay, I\'m using the following instruments:

Bass Clarinet Crossfade MOD(Westwood)
    Sus Trombones MW REL LOOP in 3 parts (Sam)
    Sus Bass Tbone REL (Sam)
    1st Violins Grand Sustain EXP REL(GOS)
    2nd Violins Grand Sustain (GOS)
    Basses Stacatto UpDn Alt (GOS)

That\'s it! I\'ve got 8 voices going and I\'m breaking 160 polyphony! What the crap?!?!!!

How am I supposed to do full orchestrations?!?

Re: Polyphony topped out!!!!

Well, release trigger patches always take up more polyphony as they keep ringing out their tail while you\'re playing the next note(s).

Same for the layered crossfade MW patches. The amount of xfading dynamics in there is the amount of voices x2 for stereo the patch takes up all the time. So even if you\'re using it at piano level (MW all the way down), it\'s playing mf, f and ff (or something like that) too, only silently.

So theoretically, combined Release trigger + Modwheel xfade patch (I see a couple of those in your small list) could take up 8 to 16 voices per note. Or possibly up to 16-64 if you keep pressing fast while other Release triggers are still running.

You say you\'re playing 8 notes, so that could be well over 100 or 160 poly voices.

Now you know why you need multiple Giga PCs to do serious orchestrations. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And why people want more polyphony for V3. Cause your system can handle those few patches perfectly. And it\'s a shame to cut down on release triggers or dynamic controlled patches.

Maarten

Originally posted by folk prophet:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why do you think people have more than 1 machine? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

*sigh*

So I suppose I\'ll have to bounce tracks to audio.

I really hate this.

I\'m extremely unsatisfied with this piece of junk product (GigaStudio, that is. The sounds are great. Especially the Sam stuff!!) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by folk prophet:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why do you think people have more than 1 machine? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I sure didn\'t realize polyphony was the issue. If GigaStudio limits your polyphony then you could have 1000 machines running libraries and GigaStudio would still limit your polyphony. Wouldn\'t it?

*sigh*

I really hate this.

I\'m extremely unsatisfied with this piece of junk product (GigaStudio, that is. The sounds are great. Especially the Sam stuff!!) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">But before Giga the options for streaming that many large samples didn\'t even exist. That doesn\'t nullify the fact that you (and the rest of us) want more. Let\'s hope that 3.0 opens the gates.

One way to get more poly is to convert any stereo samples to mono. You lose the natural placement, but since you\'re mixing and matching libraries, this may (with an impulse reverb) give a superior result.

Too bad there\'s no easy \"convert to mono\" button in Giga. Another feature for 3.0!

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by folk prophet:
    *sigh*

I really hate this.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">But before Giga the options for streaming that many large samples didn\'t even exist. That doesn\'t nullify the fact that you (and the rest of us) want more. Let\'s hope that 3.0 opens the gates.

One way to get more poly is to convert any stereo samples to mono. You lose the natural placement, but since you\'re mixing and matching libraries, this may (with an impulse reverb) give a superior result.

Too bad there\'s no easy \"convert to mono\" button in Giga. Another feature for 3.0!
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I would love to do that. I have no interest in using stereo samples whatsoever because I pan them all anyway. But I don\'t know how to do that. Can someone briefly explain how? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and while I\'m asking questions, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] what is an \'impulse reverb.\' (I know what reverb is. It\'s the \'impulse\' part I\'m not clear on.)

Thanks all.

</font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why do you think people have more than 1 machine? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I sure didn\'t realize polyphony was the issue. If GigaStudio limits your polyphony then you could have 1000 machines running libraries and GigaStudio would still limit your polyphony. Wouldn\'t it? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Of course it would. Poly is ONE of the reasons to get more machines. RAM is another. MIDI channeles yet one. But 80 stereo voices is pretty good - and very efficient considering how much RAM GS uses. The NI engine is not nearly as effective and stable. Try setting the Direct-From-Disc setting to 128kb in Kompakt and the voice buffer just as low (if thats possible) and see how many voices you can get without clicks and pops...

I\'ve been using only one system for quite some time. But I also work within those limitations. I don\'t use release samples and rarely use crossfade patches.

Go Back to forum