• Register
  • Help

Topic: What a difference velocity can make

Share/Bookmark

What a difference velocity can make

Having recenlty dug out an alternative to my Yamaha P-120 controller keyboard and linked it up to some of my favourite piano samples, my feelings are on the change. This old Korg has a higher velocity output than the Yamaha, and as a result piano libraries that I once thought dull are coming back to life. Consequently, those that I thought vibrant are now too brash.

In other words, before you write off a piano sample, make sure you\'ve played around with the velocity curves. It can make a world of difference. Michiel\'s Bosendorfer is truly the finest giga instrument I\'ve played.

Re: What a difference velocity can make

Would the Yamaha S80 be satisfactory with The grandioso sample Library from Michiel Post?

Can the S80 perform velocity changes or curves?

What keyboard controllers are out there that will take advantage of these newer piano libraries?

I am really looking between the Yamaha S80/S90 also because of all the other controller capabilities, but what you have mentioned is most important to me in making such a decision.

Anyone who is using a Yamaha S80 with Michiels Bosendorfer or Steinway, how do they work together?

Please suggest controllers that work with these newer libraries.

Thanks

Dave

It\'s a difficult decision. One thing to find out is what controller keyboards the developers use to create their libraries. I believe that Michiel uses Studiologic stuff. The important thing is that your controller outputs the full range of midi velocities smoothly. The velocity response of the sample can always be adjusted from within the Giga editor - although it\'s easier and quicker if you have a control on the keyboard to do this. I\'ve personally found that cheap controllers tend to output only about 3 values (very low, medium and maximum). I would have thought that anything mid-range from Yamaha or Roland should do just fine. Others have recommended the Kawai action. There sure is a lot to choose from ...

Good luck!

Originally posted by hello:
    Hi dalamein !

I´ve got an S90, and for me it´s a great keyboard with a real nice action.

I haven´t tried it with any GS piano libraries yet, but with the S90 you can choose from 3 or 4 velocity curves in the keyboard itself. Don´t know about the S80 though...
    AFAIK the velocity curves are active on MIDI output too, but it´s worth checking out before buying...

Go here for more info: http://www.sninety.com

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks, is there anyone using the S80 that can confirm setting velocity curves?

Dave

Originally posted by sjduck:
    It\'s a difficult decision. One thing to find out is what controller keyboards the developers use to create their libraries. I believe that Michiel uses Studiologic stuff......
    Good luck!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks is there anyone that can give us more info on this. I love to trigger off these velocities from the Keyboard instead of the editor.

I am so close to getting the Yamaha S80/S90, but am unsure of the velocity responce/curves you mention.

Any input would greatly be appreciated

There\'s a neat little freeware application called Midi Velocity Curve Changer available at:

http://www.trombettworks.com/velocity.php

Worth a try.
    jim

Hi dalamein !

I´ve got an S90, and for me it´s a great keyboard with a real nice action.

I haven´t tried it with any GS piano libraries yet, but with the S90 you can choose from 3 or 4 velocity curves in the keyboard itself. Don´t know about the S80 though...
    AFAIK the velocity curves are active on MIDI output too, but it´s worth checking out before buying...

Go here for more info: http://www.sninety.com

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum