• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sony DPS-V77, any opinions?

Share/Bookmark

Sony DPS-V77, any opinions?

Hi,

I have a chance to get one of this Sony multifx units locally for a good price, and I am wondering if anybody around these parts has used one of this.

I would mainly use it for reverb, delay, and maybe mastering (maybe not), on orchestral, acoustic, and vocals.

I\'ve heard good things about the unit in general, but I don\'t have firsthand experience with it.

Thanks in advance!

Ruben

Re: Sony DPS-V77, any opinions?

Ok, just one bump in case someone missed this.

We had one. What\'s the $$ they asking?

At any rate we got rid of ours and only use The Lexicon 300 and Altiverb.

Further the Lexicon has not been turn on in some time since we started using Altiverb.

Altiverb is a VERY IMPRESSIVE REVERB!!! I\'d adise you to spend the $$ there - if possible.

Hi Ruben,

I purchased one a few years ago, but returned it again after a few days playing with it.

Was dissapointed with the quality of effects, and particulary the poor pitch shift and compressor algorythms.
    You don\'t need to use these of course, but when on board, they should be OK.

Instead, I opted over time for a PCM80, PCM90 and MPX500. The MPX500 being the cheapest, does offer decent effects and even its compressor that comes with a PROM update is pretty OK.

Then there are are some native plugins that IMO offer much better tweakability and quality then the DPS V77. Just my humble opinion of course...

All the best, Robert

Thanks a lot for the comments, guys.

I hadn\'t heard anything but positive comments about this unit so far, so it\'s nice to have some educated criticism in order to bring caution to my decissions.

SiliconAudioLabs, thanks for your opinion on the reverb. I don\'t think Altiverb is an option at this point for me (PC user here), but it sure would be nice to have it! What qualities about the DPS-V77 reverb did you dislike? Too metallic or disconnected maybe? By the way, I have been offered this mint DPS-V77 for $600 (A little less than a new MPX-1, so it would be nice to know how it compares to that, just reverb-wise).

Robert, thanks for your helpful comments as well. I\'m asking you a couple of questions below.

Thanks!

Ruben

Originally posted by Robert Kooijman:
    Hi Ruben,

I purchased one a few years ago, but returned it again after a few days playing with it.

Was dissapointed with the quality of effects, and particulary the poor pitch shift and compressor algorythms.
    You don\'t need to use these of course, but when on board, they should be OK.

Instead, I opted over time for a PCM80, PCM90 and MPX500. The MPX500 being the cheapest, does offer decent effects and even its compressor that comes with a PROM update is pretty OK.

Then there are are some native plugins that IMO offer much better tweakability and quality then the DPS V77. Just my humble opinion of course...

All the best, Robert
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hello Robert,

Thanks again for the criticism on this unit, I really appreciate that as good guidance.

I hope you don\'t mind me asking you a couple of things. Regarding the poor quality of some of the effects in general, you didn\'t mention the reverb (my main focus for getting this unit). I\'ve heard people saying that it is more realistic, accurate, and smooth than a MPX-1. It seems that at the price that I\'m being asked for the Sony unit (less than a new MPX-1), it might be a worthy contender.
    Could you perhaps try to briefly characterize the qualities of the reverb in particular? Use some comparisons if you must.

Thanks a lot!

Ruben

Hi Ruben!

Well, comparing reverbs is as always a highly subjective matter.

Since you asked: I remember that reverb in general and some delay effects are pretty nice in this unit. It offers e.g. some delays that I can\'t get from the Lexicons. If you plan to use it mainly for reverb, than it\'s probably ok to get one. It has a different, you could call it more open, reverb character then many Lexicon presets. I wouldn\'t call it more natural though.
    Alternatively, some relatively inexpensive Roland reverbs sound very sweet, would prefer these instead over the Sony.

I personally wasn\'t too happy with the editing system and the slightly toyish graphics. Same with the stacked effects using pitch shift and/or compression. You can get imo overall better results with todays software plugins, even with some that come for free.

Bottom line: if you\'re mainly after a decent reverb or slightly complex delays, I can recommend the unit. It has tough competition though...

All the best, Robert

Originally posted by Robert Kooijman:
    Hi Ruben!

Well, comparing reverbs is as always a highly subjective matter.

Since you asked: I remember that reverb in general and some delay effects are pretty nice in this unit. It offers e.g. some delays that I can\'t get from the Lexicons. If you plan to use it mainly for reverb, than it\'s probably ok to get one. It has a different, you could call it more open, reverb character then many Lexicon presets. I wouldn\'t call it more natural though.
    Alternatively, some relatively inexpensive Roland reverbs sound very sweet, would prefer these instead over the Sony.

I personally wasn\'t too happy with the editing system and the slightly toyish graphics. Same with the stacked effects using pitch shift and/or compression. You can get imo overall better results with todays software plugins, even with some that come for free.

Bottom line: if you\'re mainly after a decent reverb or slightly complex delays, I can recommend the unit. It has tough competition though...

All the best, Robert
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Robert,

Thanks again for bringing your experience with the unit.
    Like you mention, the consensus seems to be that the reverbs and delay effects have a very nice quality to them. Funny that you would talk about the Roland reverbs. I actually have an SRV-330, which I think is absolutely great. I am basically seeking for something to complement it, and add to the palette.
    I\'ll take a CD with a bunch of different dry tracks when I go to check out this unit, and see how it fares.

Thanks a lot!

Ruben

Go Back to forum