• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigapulse and Giga 3.0

Share/Bookmark

Gigapulse and Giga 3.0

I\'ve been following pretty closely the - ahem, \"discussions\" about Gigastudio 3.0, Tascam\'s lack of information and whether they\'ve \"dropped the ball\" or even aren\'t interested any more and will just phase it out.

Of course Gigapulse is, on the face of it, a completely different product, but here\'s my take on it:

1. The fact that Tascam have named it \"GIGA\"-pulse, when they could just have easily named it something completely unrelated, suggests to me that they are trying to leverage the \"GIGA\" brand. Maybe there\'ll be a whole raft of \"Giga\"-this and \"Giga\"-that to follow.

2. At the very least, the product negates the view that they aren\'t interested in software development and are planning to let that whole side of things (including Gigastudio) die.

3. If Tascam were planning to drop Gigastudio, or just upgrade it half-heartedly, they wouldn\'t be renewing the name in the marketplace. They\'d be aware of the bad PR fallout and they\'d want to let the name \"Giga\" fade away as much as possible.

My prognosis = good.

A realistic assessment?

A load of hot air?

Or just wishful/positive thinking . . . ?

Re: Gigapulse and Giga 3.0

In related news, Lucasfilm has officially registered Revengeofthesith.com reflecting the fact that:

1. George Lucas hasn\'t lost his sense of humor when it comes to titles.

2. This could be an indication of trying to leverage the \"sith\" brand as in \"a new sith\" or \"the sith strikes back\"

3. If George Lucas was planning not to use the name for the Episode 3, he wouldn\'t be registering the domain address.

My prognosis: Bad...will Jar Jar turn out to be the dark sith lord?

A realistic assessment?

A load of hot air?

Or just nightmarish thinking . . . ?

Well, anybody who\'s going to call their next bad guy \"General Grevious\" has to have a sense of humour.

I think the Giga brand has a lot of life yet whatever is being released.

Originally posted by Ouch that hurts:

My prognosis = a lot hot air.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There\'s only so much that the people at Tascam can say. However, GigaPulse will be available as a separate VSTi plug-in. It\'s fair to \"assume\" (as most have) that this will probably be a part of GigaStudio. The other talk has been about vastly improved polyphony, how much no one at Tascam has said.

However, with some reading-between-the-lines, it\'s pretty obvious that GigaStudio is far from dead.

Tascam also announced today a new list price of $499US for Giga 160.
    http://www.tascam.com/press_release.php?pid=19

So overall, you have a between-the-lines sneak preview of what appears to be coming, plus a whole new convolution plug-in that works in a variety of programs along with a reported number of IRs coming for purchase and others available on the net as freeware.
    http://www.tascam.com/pdf/AES_NewProd_Bro.pdf

The idea that Tascam is cashing out/cashing in is ridiculous. Several of us here on this forum \"in the know\" have been quite clear that there\'s a Giga 3.0, it is coming, and it\'s going to have some amazing features.

Granted, relationally, Tascam is their own nemesis in building customer relationships. Nolo contendre. However, things are in motion and it all looks very exciting.

So there\'s lots of reasons to be positive about what\'s coming.

Wonder if this convolution reverb is the one the VSL team is talking about and planning on implementing ?

Originally posted by P de Caumette:
    Wonder if this convolution reverb is the one the VSL team is talking about and planning on implementing ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No. The MIR (Multi Impulse Response engine) is a project of our own.

Yet GigaPulse is great news for us. Sampling Reverb is the most flexible and convincing way to realize a \"true\" acousting setting, if you don\'t want to be constrained to reverb recorded with the sample itself.

I believe that version 3.0 is coming. I have found enough information to confirm this.

I have checked Tascam\'s website before making this reply, and saw that the forums are still down. I got an email from someone in that department telling me that the forums would be up in \'early october\'. I hope Bruce will talk to someone about this. I don\'t think they will really listen to my concerns.

It would be helpful if Tascam would revise their company policy, and provide more information in general. I certainly think that it is more than fair to circulate a set of system requirements for the next version of the software. Of course people will be angry if the software is not released at a certain date. Most of us want items to be released yesterday.

The RAM limitations in Gigastudio are not pleasant, but it is important to know what those limitations are in any event. Until 3.0 is released we will not know what the new limitations are. I would like to know the exact limitations in RAM for the current Gigastudio version. I have yet to get a clear answer on that. Everything I have heard has been speculated. An offical answer would be nice. How I hate to not know things.

Ich spreche Spanisch nicht.

[quote]Originally posted by Dietz:
    Originally posted by P de Caumette:
    [qb] Yet GigaPulse is great news for us. Sampling Reverb is the most flexible and convincing way to realize a \"true\" acousting setting, if you don\'t want to be constrained to reverb recorded with the sample itself.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow, this is very exciting. The thought I could save time running seperate audio tracks on my outboard 330SRV verb - yea!!!

I am sure I\'ll need a \'facelift\' on my P4 1.7 Ghz DAW.

Rob

....the embracing of VST technology is a very very good sign....kudos for that one.

-david abraham

Go Back to forum