• Register
  • Help

Topic: posting mp3 files: where's the reverb?

Share/Bookmark

posting mp3 files: where's the reverb?

I have posted a piece on my website, with a link here, called Skating. It's an mp3 file, as Weebly only uses that format. I mixed it down using my Sonar software. On the audio track I mixed it down from, I used some plug ins, but no reverb. (I had reverb on the various synths used in creating the mix). I just acquired Spaces reverb from East West, and added it to the final mix (audio track). But when I made a new mp3 file, it appears not to have the added reverb. Anyone have any clue what's going on here?

michael diemer

Re: posting mp3 files: where's the reverb?

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    I have posted a piece on my website, with a link here, called Skating. It's an mp3 file, as Weebly only uses that format. I mixed it down using my Sonar software. On the audio track I mixed it down from, I used some plug ins, but no reverb. (I had reverb on the various synths used in creating the mix). I just acquired Spaces reverb from East West, and added it to the final mix (audio track). But when I made a new mp3 file, it appears not to have the added reverb. Anyone have any clue what's going on here?

michael diemer
    I figured this one out: I was using a fairly light reverb, and that, in combination with the fact that when you stop an mp3 file, it sounds like there's no reverb anyway, explains it. I tested it by doing another mp3 with cavernous reverb, and I could then easily hear that the reverb was in fact on the mp3 file.

michael

Also, MP3 format knocks out the lowest and highest frequencies, to create a smaller file that is mutilated in a way that is mostly unnoticable. If you are listening for the high-pitched reverbs of cymbals and "ess's" and "tee's," then they may have been subdued in this process. Also since you ran it through so many different plugins and programs, you could have left a fader in the wrong place or checked a box and forgot about it. Happens to me daily and I'm like, "Why is my snare track exploding my speakers?" and yeah it was me being stupid lol. Just some thoughts.

Yeah, I've had that happen too. The more complicated you make it, the more things can screw up!

Go Back to forum