• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Libraries and REAPER DAW

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Libraries and REAPER DAW

I'm looking at using REAPER as a DAW, and would like to know if anyone has any experience with using Garritan's libraries with it. I'm mainly looking at JABB at the moment, but I also will be using COMB more than likely. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Norm
    Norm Jacobson

Music aficionado
    Wannabe arranger
    Tenor saxophonist

"It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing" - Duke

Re: Garritan Libraries and REAPER DAW

Hi Norm.
    I can't say I'm a Reaper user, since I step into it sometimes just to understand if it is good to me or not.
    A thing I like is the ability to draw CC controllers as Bezier splines.
    I like more to work with notation so this way to handle CCs gives me great sense of control, since they
    end to act a lot like hairpins.
    Another subtle tool I like is the ability to offset the starting point of a recording (both audio or midi) into a region. It adds some realism to unisons.
    Then, I see Reaper as filled of thousands commands, menus, submenus enough to drive me crazy.
    At last, always choose the DAW closest to your workflow.
    Hope it helps
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by NormJ View Post
    I'm looking at using REAPER as a DAW, and would like to know if anyone has any experience with using Garritan's libraries with it. I'm mainly looking at JABB at the moment, but I also will be using COMB more than likely. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Yes, I'm using Reaper as my DAW with Garritan libraries. Do you have specific questions?

Smile Re: Garritan Libraries and REAPER DAW

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    Yes, I'm using Reaper as my DAW with Garritan libraries. Do you have specific questions?
    The main thing right now is getting JABB so that REAPER can see the various instruments. If you will help me with that, it will be a big help. Thanx a lot.
    Norm
    Norm Jacobson

Music aficionado
    Wannabe arranger
    Tenor saxophonist

Smile Re: Garritan Libraries and REAPER DAW

Hi Fabio, This is crazy, I can't seem to get the Enter key to work. Anyway, how are things in sunny(?) Italy? I think one of the things that interested me in REAPER is all the control a person would have. We shall see if it doesn't drive me crazy, also. Norm
    Norm Jacobson

Music aficionado
    Wannabe arranger
    Tenor saxophonist

Hi Norm.
    Things in sunny Italy are not that sunny at the moment.

Anyway, getting Garritan Libraries to work with Reaper is basically the same as in other DAWs: you can choose to load an instrument per track or an instance hosting up to 16 different instruments at once.
    Doing the latter is done in the most complicated way you can imagine. I can't recall the whole process at heart by I can try to find an explanation on the web since I stepped into it at Repaer Forum in the past.
    I'm sure it lies somewhere in the Favourite Folder on my Mac at home...

Same for getting CC to be entered along notes. I mean: sometimes it could be tricky, non-linear.

Stay tuned until Reaper experts come up with better suggestions than mine.
    Fabio

Here's how to load ARIA multitimbrally in a track:

"You can right click on the Instrument in the FX Chain Window and select "Build 16 Channels of Midi Routing to this Track"... :-) Much Faster.

Also, if you would like to use the multiple outputs of your synths you can select the action to Build MultiChannel Routing for output of selected FX".
    Source: Repaer Forum. This own thread (http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=26198) could be a good headstart for exploring this issue. Repaer Forums are very comprehensive ones but need lot of patience -- like Reaper itself.
    Hope it helps

Edit: check this one too http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5097528
    Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by NormJ View Post
    The main thing right now is getting JABB so that REAPER can see the various instruments. If you will help me with that, it will be a big help. Thanx a lot.
    Norm
    Make sure to read the Reaper user guide, but to quickly start up:
    1. Track > Insert virtual instrument on new track...
    2. Among the VSTis: ARIA Player (Garritan)
    3. Set up the instruments in ARIA
    4. Insert a new Track with Ctrl+T
    5. Set the input to MIDI (Instead of the default "Left")
    6. Turn on input monitoring
    7. Press the IO button and set the routing: add new Send to ARIA player, and set the Midi channel mapping like ALL => 1
    8. Disarm the ARIA track
    9. Arm the instrument track

This way you will be able to record from your MIDI input to the instrument track and playing back the sound via ARIA.

You might also want to have a separate stereo audio track for each instrument (that way you can apply audio effects to each instrument), for that you must use the Multi version of the ARIA Player VST and set it up to use multiple audio channels by:
    - clicking the button with the "2/32" text on it and pressing the small "plus" at the bottom of the appearing window, this way you can set the available audio outputs
    - set the audio output channels for the instruments (change "1/2" to some other value)
    - in the instrument track set up IO:
    -- set up input and Send to ARIA as above
    -- add a receive: ARIA Player, Audio: 3/4 => 1/2 (and so on)

Fabio and Briff, you guys are great to be helping Norm out with Reaper.

Norm, the procedure Briff laid out for setting up a Reaper project with ARIA and Garritan Libraries is pretty much the way it works with other DAW programs, as Fabio pointed out. It sounds a bit more convoluted, but I can see from the description that the logic is the same, getting your host program, Reaper, to interact with ARIA.

Once you've followed Briff's steps and have JABB playing and working in ARIA, I want to point out something he mentioned:

Quote Originally Posted by briff View Post
    ...You might also want to have a separate stereo audio track for each instrument (that way you can apply audio effects to each instrument), for that you must use the Multi version of the ARIA Player VST and set it up to use multiple audio channels...
    I highly recommend you work that way. If you set up only one audio track, you'll be missing out on a large part of what a DAW program like Reaper has to offer. The idea is simple enough - to have each loaded instrument in ARIA have not only its own controlling MIDI track, but also to have that instrument's sound coming out of its own discrete audio track in Reaper.

To make sure you understand, notice towards the end of Briff's post where he says "...change '1/2' to some other value..." That's referring to setting up the audio outs in ARIA. In each instruments little window, right below the loaded instrument's name, you'll see the "1/2" he's referring to. Click that and you'll get a drop down menu labeled "Output." The 16 available audio outs are labeled "1/2" through "31/32" - because the numbers are referring to the left and right channel of each stereo out. The first one has One=Left, Two=Right, and so forth.

And, as Briff said, it's critical that you load the "multi" version of the ARIA VST so you'll have all 16 of those audio outs available.

As usual, when we start describing these details in words, it can sound overwhelmingly difficult, when in actuality it's simpler to do.

It all has a logic that you'll get more comfortable with. Soon enough you'll be setting projects up easily in Reaper, and getting back to what you want to do - making music!

Randy

I'm just getting into REAPER with GPO and JABB.. This will be a helpful thread.

Thanx!
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Go Back to forum