• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Five Miniatures for Vln and Vc

Share/Bookmark

Five Miniatures for Vln and Vc

I was selected to have this work premiered at the November Concert of the Cleveland Composer's Guild. I am only including movement I right now. This is the other side of me, it's not a pop tune and it requires serious listening skills. It was composed by generating a devised scale and then playing around with the intervalic relationships. The pieces are more of a dialogue between the two instruments.

I thought I'd share my Finale version and then the real live performance. At the time of writing them I thought them to be too hard for performance. I found a Cleveland Cellist and Violinist that were quite capable of pulling the performance off. It was a spectacular performance of these difficult movements.

There are 5 movements in all each lasting only 2 to 2 1/2 minutes each. Here is the first:

Finale Version MM I - Introduction and Chorale

Live version MM I - Introduction and Chorale

Best regards
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Five Miniatures for Vln and Vc

Wow, amazing pieces! i love the contrast and melodic material you use in them, and i love that you put both the Live and Electronic versions up! They both sound great!

Best,
    Quinn

Hi Bill,

Just finished listening to the two versions ... I was expecting the live version to sound like it was in an intimate recital room, but it sounded like a much larger chamber. Is the 'live' version reverb natural? And, yes, great performers!

Well, I suppose I agree: not Brittney or Gaga pop ... but possibly Schoenberg or Bernstein pop? .

I like this stuff, and I thought you worked your conversation using every articulation you could ... an impassioned dialogue! Care to share the devised scale?

Good to start the New Year off with another of your uber-original pieces of music ... hope you post the other four over time.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Bill,

Just finished listening to the two versions ... I was expecting the live version to sound like it was in an intimate recital room, but it sounded like a much larger chamber. Is the 'live' version reverb natural? And, yes, great performers!

Well, the performance was in a church Sanctuary in Bay Village. A large hall with a very high ceiling, that's where the reverb came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Care to share the devised scale?
    Frank
    Actually, it wasn't as much a scale as an intervalic relationshi: P5 m6 m7 m2 m3 and m9 - This gives tremendous opportunities for note selections - you can pivot almost anywhere.

Thanks for the listen, this was a fun exercise to write, never dreamed it would be selected for performance.

I will indeed be sharing the other movements.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonynumbertwo View Post
    Wow, amazing pieces! i love the contrast and melodic material you use in them, and i love that you put both the Live and Electronic versions up! They both sound great!

Best,
    Quinn
    Thanks for the listen, Quinn - I always strive to create melodic movement in my pieces, even those based on the atonal system. Surely, no one will hum these tunes, but the player has the satisfaction of hearing a melodical idea with the chance of shared dialogue with the accompanying instrument.

Thanks again,

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Along with Quinn, I love it that you've again posted both rendered and live performance versions, Bill. Good heavens those musicians are great. They brought so much interest and drama to the piece.

Frank asked a question that came to my mind too - the ambience in the live version is natural, I take it? The venue is larger than I expected - sounds great, but I'm curious if you did any sweetening with a reverb plug-in?

And also from the always quotable FrankD, I certainly agree that you have a very nice habit of posting "uber-original pieces of music."

Thank you, Bill, for the interesting trip into a cerebral dimension of music I don't often visit.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Along with Quinn, I love it that you've again posted both rendered and live performance versions, Bill. Good heavens those musicians are great. They brought so much interest and drama to the piece.

Frank asked a question that came to my mind too - the ambience in the live version is natural, I take it? The venue is larger than I expected - sounds great, but I'm curious if you did any sweetening with a reverb plug-in?

And also from the always quotable FrankD, I certainly agree that you have a very nice habit of posting "uber-original pieces of music."

Thank you, Bill, for the interesting trip into a cerebral dimension of music I don't often visit.

Randy
    Hi Randy,

No, I did nothing to help the reverb along. It was recorded by a professional company and they just sent me the tape. The guild pays about $1500 per performance to get good recordings.

My uber-original pieces as you and Frank have called them are the result of studies with some very good Cleveland area composers, most of which have passed, sadly. I use my 'pop-tune' exercises to free my brain to delve in that darker, more intimate side of my composing brain.

I'm glad you stopped in for a listen,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    ...No, I did nothing to help the reverb along. It was recorded by a professional company and they just sent me the tape. The guild pays about $1500 per performance to get good recordings...
    Thanks for the reply, Bill - Good heavens this guild certainly has a healthy budget!-- It's heartening to know that at least some musical organizations are doing so well in this crappy economy!

Randy

We still get funding from a foundation in Cleveland, but the money dwindles from year to year, alas! The group was started by Donald Erb, Bain Murray, Rudolph Bubalo and a few others I don't remember off hand. Back in the late 50's they had wide support from the Council for The Arts and the Cleveland Foundation and the Bascom Little Fund. Now, I believe it is just the Bascom Little Fund and grants that we seek.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill,

A very original and thrilling listening experience: it kept me listening (although the Finale version sounded somewhat dry and flat).
    Wonderful live performance as well.

Could you send the 'guild' to Belgium for a couple of months? This is unthinkable over here... And very good for you. The jury made a just decision and facilitated this superb recording.

Thanks for sharing,

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast