• Register
  • Help

Topic: Boomwhackalacka! Using Randy's Boomwhacker Samples

Share/Bookmark

Boomwhackalacka! Using Randy's Boomwhacker Samples

Several months ago Randy started working on boomwhacker samples for me that I could use in the Aria player. Boomwhackers are very cool, colorful plastic tubes that have pitches determined by their lengths. I think the samples sound absolutely wonderful and work perfectly well with the Aria player. I just wanted to give you a sample using my work entitled “Boomwhackalacka!" I need to get Randy working on a roll sample for me now (just kidding, man.)The 2 rolls in this recording have the “machine gun effect,” but probably due to me not spending enough time on the midi and not because of Randy’s great samples.
    ~Rodney
    https://www.box.com/s/9ycpplr26deh12sln2vo

Re: Boomwhackalacka! Using Randy's Boomwhacker Samples

oh wow!-- my unfinished Boomwhacker project! It's great that you've done something with the incomplete set of samples I put together, Rodney. Great fun - sounds neat!--yeah, machine gun effect would be easily avoided with some roll samples.

It turned out to not be practical for me to finish the sampling project. I bought the basic set of Boomwhackers and put together a test SFZ file, but I would have needed to buy quite a few more Boomwhackers to have a complete set, and my budget just couldn't do it.

Side note to Forum members reading this: Rodney tried to help me out. He has a complete set of these tubes, since he writes music for Boomwhackers which is used in school music programs. We thought it would work for him to ship his set of tubes to me, and then I'd ship them all back when I'd finished recording the samples. But the shipping cost was astronomical - a figure neither one of us was ready to cover. The tubes are light, but the whole collection was bulky, and there was just no way around the absurdly high shipping cost.

Rodney - stand by for a PM - there's something else I want to pass on about Boomwhackers.

Really fun post, --Thanks, Rod!

Randy

A lot of fun, even with an incomplete set of ... whatever, it sounds great!

Max

Amazing what you can do with a set of unfinished samples. Even more amazing that you made them work, and so good too!

-Quinn

Geez, Rodney ... with an incessant 4/4 kick drum, ya got yourself a great dance music track!

I wasn't aware of the formal name ... very cool. Leave it to Randy to start a library of this instrument. Too bad the shipping costs scuttled the project.

But what you laid down with what was available was a helluva lot of fun to listen to!

Boomwhacker-on, Rodney!

Frank

BTW, the machine gun rolls actually go with the whole dance music sound!

Wait, let me grab my grass skirt - no, you don't want to see that! This is so delightful, toes are tapping!

Thanks for the smile!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Thanks dudes for listening and your comments. Boomwhackalacka! is one of those fun pieces that groups email me about all the time so I finally just decided to publish the darn thing. Here is me conducting a group playing the Boomwhackalacka Extreme! version which uses the entire set of tubes.

~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Geez, Rodney ... with an incessant 4/4 kick drum, ya got yourself a great dance music track!

I wasn't aware of the formal name ... very cool. Leave it to Randy to start a library of this instrument. Too bad the shipping costs scuttled the project.

But what you laid down with what was available was a helluva lot of fun to listen to!

Boomwhacker-on, Rodney!

Frank

BTW, the machine gun rolls actually go with the whole dance music sound!
    It's funny you said that Frank. I've done that with some groups, gave performances down town, and people were actually dancing in the streets.
    ~Rodney

Omission on my side, didn't look up what boomwhackalacka was. Now I know after having seen that vid. Great stuff!!

At this very moment the movie about Ray Charles is again on my TV-broadcasting. I'm recording it. He was a great man!

Raymond

Go Back to forum