• Register
  • Help

Topic: Autoharp owners - the programming got broken!

Share/Bookmark

Autoharp owners - the programming got broken!

UPDATE 12/31/12 - Cakewalk Dimension Pro and LE users, see the 2nd post for important info.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Within the last week, around Christmas, I found out that my Autoharp SFZ instrument isn't working anymore! A potential customer sent me an inquiry, and to reply, I checked on the instrument for the first time in several months. I was horrified to see that something in ARIA's programming changed at some point this year, making some of my programming broken. Bummer!

I have the info in to one of ARIA's programmers, and when the holidays are over, sometime after the 1st, he expects to be able to track down the problem. It has to be something simple, but it's beyond my know-how to figure it out.

The symptoms: By default, all you should have to do is load the instrument and have the default strums available. Moving the Pitch Bend wheel in either direction engages other sample layers. Well, now, instead of the default strums, the short plink of strings being muted is all you get across the keyoard by default. That's supposed to be the sound engaged by the Sustain Pedal, CC64.

So at some point, opcodes were changed - potentially rendering any other custom non-Garritan ARIA instruments to not function correctly. Bums me out!

When I put the instrument together and released it earlier this year, it was perfectly compatible with whatever version of ARIA was then current. I used Autoharp in several of my own projects, and I produced the demos with it. There's no question that it was originally working.

SO - if you purchased the Autoharp, rest assured that the programming will be fixed. Contact me by email, via the link under my name in this post, and I'll provide the new version of the SFZ file as soon as it's available.

I'm surprised that things as basic as Pitch Bend and the Sustain Pedal are programmed differently now in ARIA, but that seems to be the case!

I've taken the Autoharp link out of my signature for now, awaiting for when all is well again.

Randy

Re: Autoharp owners - the programming got broken!

UPDATE - The Autoharp still works perfectly in the Cakewalk Dimension synth.

After two hours of trying unsuccessfully to unravel the mystery of The Autoharp's broken code, stalwart Forum member Frank D'Erasmo reminded me of the Cakewalk Dimension version of the instrument.

I can confirm The Autoharp DEFINITELY works with both Dimension Pro and Dimension LE. The latter is the free version of the synth that comes with Cakewalk/Sonar/X1-2 software.

I have discovered that for some reason instruments default to a higher volume in Dim LE, so this morning I created a different Program file of The Autoharp to use in LE.

If you own The Autoharp and have either Dim Pro or Dim LE, use the link below and open the Dimension folder to download either version of the Program file you need:

The Autoharp for Cakewalk Dimension

I still have confidence that the programming for the ARIA version of The Autoharp will be fixed. Some opcodes used in ARIA were changed over the course of this last year, and the programmers will be helping me update the SFZ file.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Just wanted to give this thread another boost so previous users will see it and know there is an easy work around if they hit a problem with the Aria version.

I loaded-up my old Autoharp demo today (which used your stellar instrument via Dimension Pro), and everything played-back perfectly!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Randy,

Just wanted to give this thread another boost so previous users will see it and know there is an easy work around if they hit a problem with the Aria version.

I loaded-up my old Autoharp demo today (which used your stellar instrument via Dimension Pro), and everything played-back perfectly!

Frank
    Thank you very much, Frank. I was really shocked to see that something has changed in ARIA's programming this year which renders some of my SFZ programming broken - I know it'll be straightened out, and hopefully soon!--I'm awaiting word from an ARIA programmer about what opcodes have been re-written, so I can straighten things out.

Meanwhile, nothing's changed in Cakewalk Dimension's programming, thank heavens - it's been steady for years now. And, as you said, for anyone having EITHER Dimension Pro, or the free LE version that comes with all Cakewalk software, The Autoharp still works exactly as designed.

I really appreciate the endorsement.

Randy

Go Back to forum