• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Topic: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Focu..._Amp/FR-VRMBOX

    Just to warn you, there is a hot girl at the end so you may want to stop the video around 2:50 to avoid that. My wife was like, "What are you watching?!?" I said, "Research, baby, research."

    I live in an apartment and having a baby soon, so I was hoping this would help. Also, so I would not have to spend $100's on monitor speakers. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
    ~Rodney

  2. #2

    Re: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    That's a cute ad, Rodney - And your preview made me stay tuned, so I wouldn't miss The Hot Girl. I was beginning to think you made that up just so we'd watch - but sure enough, The Hot Girl appeared on cue. Nice - Almost as nice as the headphone amp!

    I'd never heard of this box, so looked up info online. Sounds pretty good to me. Of course results will vary widely, depending on what headphones you use. I take it you already have some phones you like, or are ready to buy a new pair to go with this.

    Here's a pretty thorough review from the very trustworthy Sound On Sound, in case you haven't seen it. He wishes that it could be available just as a plug-in, and explains the trick of how to add yet another interface to your set up:

    SOS Review of Focusrite VRM Box

    The last line of the review sums up the writer's enthusiasm, "... I can’t think of any other affordable product that has made more difference to my own mixing..."

    If you go for it, let us know how it works out for you!

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    Rodney...I have the VRM Box and am VERY pleased. Big endorsement from me. Just wish I had more time to use it.

    I use it with Beyerdynamic DT 770 phones, BTW.

    Happy New Year...back soon, I hope.

    Jim W.

    ADDENDUM 1: IT DOESN'T WORK WITH WINDOWS 8, AS I JUST FOUND OUT WHEN I TRIED TO INSTALL IT. AFTER ANSWERING YOUR INQUIRY, I DECIDED TO ATTACH IT TO MY BRAND NEW WIN 8 MACHINE. DRIVERS ARE IN DEVELOPMENT ACCORDING TO FOCUSRITE.

    ADDENDUM 2: It's much more then a headphone amp--it's a speaker simulator that allows users to mix with headphones, but without the problems of separation normally associated with phones.

    Off to look for drivers & s/w
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  4. #4

    Re: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    Reading thru the various articles, my conclusion is that it needs some CPU overhead, which can give some "dropouts" when using the driver for room- and speaker simulation.

    I searched the web for another less demanding solution and found this one, completely software for W7/X32, W7/X64 and MAC systems. Besides that it is much cheaper.

    http://www.toneboosters.com/

    For the manual before installing (it only installs the .dll's in folders and doesn't affect your setup - just move the dll to the VST folder ou need), see under the web page Support. First impression: easy handling.

    Raymond

  5. #5
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    2,978

    Re: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    Raymond said,

    I searched the web for another less demanding solution and found this one, completely software for W7/X32, W7/X64 and MAC systems. Besides that it is much cheaper.

    http://www.toneboosters.com/
    Looks like it's worth a try Rodney. You might get nicked a little for the currency exchange. I always do.

    I'm looking at wireless headphones for my lady friend so her occasional TV watching doesn't disturb me.

    And talking about ambient noise, depending on the situation you might not get a lot of composing done for a few months after your baby is born. You might hold off on the download or purchase until you think you need it.




    Phil

  6. #6

    Re: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    That's a cute ad, Rodney - And your preview made me stay tuned, so I wouldn't miss The Hot Girl. I was beginning to think you made that up just so we'd watch - but sure enough, The Hot Girl appeared on cue. Nice - Almost as nice as the headphone amp!

    I'd never heard of this box, so looked up info online. Sounds pretty good to me. Of course results will vary widely, depending on what headphones you use. I take it you already have some phones you like, or are ready to buy a new pair to go with this.

    Here's a pretty thorough review from the very trustworthy Sound On Sound, in case you haven't seen it. He wishes that it could be available just as a plug-in, and explains the trick of how to add yet another interface to your set up:

    SOS Review of Focusrite VRM Box

    The last line of the review sums up the writer's enthusiasm, "... I can’t think of any other affordable product that has made more difference to my own mixing..."

    If you go for it, let us know how it works out for you!

    Randy
    Thank you so much for the link Randy, and taking the time to look for it. I looked at the review and liked what I read, and if I get it I will let everyone know how it works.
    ~Rodney

  7. #7

    Re: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Rodney...I have the VRM Box and am VERY pleased. Big endorsement from me. Just wish I had more time to use it.

    I use it with Beyerdynamic DT 770 phones, BTW.

    Happy New Year...back soon, I hope.

    Jim W.

    ADDENDUM 1: IT DOESN'T WORK WITH WINDOWS 8, AS I JUST FOUND OUT WHEN I TRIED TO INSTALL IT. AFTER ANSWERING YOUR INQUIRY, I DECIDED TO ATTACH IT TO MY BRAND NEW WIN 8 MACHINE. DRIVERS ARE IN DEVELOPMENT ACCORDING TO FOCUSRITE.

    ADDENDUM 2: It's much more then a headphone amp--it's a speaker simulator that allows users to mix with headphones, but without the problems of separation normally associated with phones.

    Off to look for drivers & s/w
    I still have Windows 7 so I'm good there but thank you for the info! The only question now is, "Can I borrow yours?" Just kidding.

    I have 2 types of headphones: Bose AE2 and ATH-M40fs Audio-technica studiophones. Is that good enough?
    ~Rodney

  8. #8

    Re: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Reading thru the various articles, my conclusion is that it needs some CPU overhead, which can give some "dropouts" when using the driver for room- and speaker simulation.

    I searched the web for another less demanding solution and found this one, completely software for W7/X32, W7/X64 and MAC systems. Besides that it is much cheaper.

    http://www.toneboosters.com/

    For the manual before installing (it only installs the .dll's in folders and doesn't affect your setup - just move the dll to the VST folder ou need), see under the web page Support. First impression: easy handling.

    Raymond
    Thank you for the link Raymond.
    ~Rodney

  9. #9

    Re: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Raymond said,



    Looks like it's worth a try Rodney. You might get nicked a little for the currency exchange. I always do.

    I'm looking at wireless headphones for my lady friend so her occasional TV watching doesn't disturb me.

    And talking about ambient noise, depending on the situation you might not get a lot of composing done for a few months after your baby is born. You might hold off on the download or purchase until you think you need it.




    Phil
    Concerning currency, they are at Best Buy right now only 10 minutes from me so I'm good there.

    Speaking of the new baby, my studio has now become the baby room. What once was decorated with bronze trumpets and stainless still metal staves has now turned to lace and pink monkeys, but my piano and computer are still in there. Mommy wants baby and Daddy together which is fine with me until we buy a house (one of these days.)
    ~Rodney

  10. #10
    Senior Member Frank D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Suburban NYC
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: VRM Box Headphone Amp: Should I get this?

    Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    " ... Mommy wants baby and Daddy together which is fine with me until we buy a house (one of these days.)
    ~Rodney
    Hey Rodney ... Maybe Raymond can find you a "House Simulator" on line!

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •