• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Am I the only nutcase with a fire safe?

Share/Bookmark

Am I the only nutcase with a fire safe?

Does anyone else here store their sample CDs in a fire safe? Maybe I\'m just nuts. But what if I\'m away and the apartment catches on fire, and the CDs melt? I doubt the respective sample developers would send out new copies. And there goes over $2000 up in flames!

Re: Am I the only nutcase with a fire safe?

jeez, i never really thought about that. good idea though. how much do firesafes run for nowadays? i\'ve been looking for a good place to store my sample discs anyways.

Sam, I have been wondering about backing up the sample libraries myself. I had a tradesman in my office the other day and AO, SOV, DR2, GOS, Meta were all sitting on my desk. My only thought was at least he probably doesnt know their true worth. (Probably thought they were $10 relaxation cd\'s!)

WHat is everyone else doing to back them up? We are not supposed to copy them and I would need a minimum of a 80gig hard drive just to archive them all.

Regards, Scott.

I bought my fire safe for around $40 I think. It\'s a Sentry, and it\'s FULL already.. all it has in it is GOS Lite, AO, VOTA, Xsample vol 8, SAM Horns..and I think that\'s it. NO way is LOP fitting in there. In retrospect, I should\'ve bought the larger safe.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:

WHat is everyone else doing to back them up? We are not supposed to copy them and I would need a minimum of a 80gig hard drive just to archive them all.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually I think we\'re legally allowed to make backups. Am I wrong on this?

Hi Sam, you might be right. I was thinking of the messages from E.P. on the Spectrasonics stuff, called LISTEN TO THIS. Where Eric personally asks you to not copy the material!

A back-up is certainly a different thing, at least in my eyes.

You know it would be my luck that if I had a fire-safe andin the event of a fire that;

1. I wouldnt have put the samples in the safe
    2. If I did, I wouldnt\'ve closed the door. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Scott.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

You can make multiple copies of your sound source discs. That\'s a perfectly legal right, and a smart thing to do. Due to the relatively small market size, many libraries are delivered on one-off media, and many of the dyes have a shelf life. From the \"scars on my butt\" department, I have backups on old Sony \"green\" media that are near worthless.

You only cross the line if you share or sell the copies. If they are backups for you, they are entirely legal. Microsoft, king of the EULA, says simply \"Do not make illegal copies of this disc.\"

Aye... Totally agree with Bruce... I wrote to Gary a while ago about backing up my full GOS library and he said its fine... Well, I haven\'t backed it up yet but I have a safe deposit box at the bank (for my original GOS) and a backup copy will be at my parents house soon as I get around to backing them up... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    You can make multiple copies of your sound source discs. That\'s a perfectly legal right, and a smart thing to do. Due to the relatively small market size, many libraries are delivered on one-off media, and many of the dyes have a shelf life. From the \"scars on my butt\" department, I have backups on old Sony \"green\" media that are near worthless.

You only cross the line if you share or sell the copies. If they are backups for you, they are entirely legal. Microsoft, king of the EULA, says simply \"Do not make illegal copies of this disc.\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Agree. I don\'t know about the different laws in different countries, but for our products, it\'s ok to make backup copies.

I just want to make note: fire safes have a protection rate of an hour to an hour and a half. A total lose is a total lose.

I would have a back-up copy at another location.

Aaron Dirk

Go Back to forum