• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "We Three Kings" music video - Merry Christmas!

Share/Bookmark

"We Three Kings" music video - Merry Christmas!

My video Christmas card this year has my Garritan Christmas CD contribution accompanied by magical imagery from a beautiful 1903 Christmas film. Warm, happy holidays to everyone!

Randy

Re: "We Three Kings" music video - Merry Christmas!

Bravissimo, Randy. What a magnificent orchestration and a nice theme. You gave on your own a lot more splendour to this year's Xmas CD. And the music fits well in the old film, good choice!

Thank you and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Bravissimo, Randy. What a magnificent orchestration and a nice theme. You gave on your own a lot more splendour to this year's Xmas CD. And the music fits well in the old film, good choice!

Thank you and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Max
    What a wonderful post to see this Christmas afternoon, Max - Thank you very much for it. I loved working on this project throughout the year, and am already looking forward to working on next year's Garritan Christmas album.

Randy

Thumbs up Re: "We Three Kings" music video - Merry Christmas!

The Joy of Christmas across the centuries and across the world... with the appropriate soundtrack and mood...

Did you manipulate colours? or were they already in the movie version you found?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    The Joy of Christmas across the centuries and across the world... with the appropriate soundtrack and mood...

Did you manipulate colours? or were they already in the movie version you found?
    Glad you visited the post, Fabio - The color was on the copy. It's believed to be the first film (1903) to use hand-tinting for splashes of color!

Randy

Wow, Randy. This is really nice. What a great movie--where did you find it?! The orchestration is also top-notch. I'm going to have to do the Vulcan mind-meld on you to learn how you get such great separation in the rendering. Spectacular, Randy.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Randy! This was very heart warming! The entire arrangement was very creative going through different textures and modulations, and I loved the majestic climax. What Garritan sounds did you use, my friend, and did you add the color in the video? I loved that Mary was blue for some reason.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Wow, Randy. This is really nice. What a great movie--where did you find it?! The orchestration is also top-notch. I'm going to have to do the Vulcan mind-meld on you to learn how you get such great separation in the rendering. Spectacular, Randy.
    Art
    Hi, Art!- Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed this. That film from 1903 really is remarkable. It's 44 minutes long, titled "La Vie et la passion de Jesus Christ," which you can see translates as "The Life and Passion of Jesus Christ." It was made in France, structured like the traditional centuries-old Passion Plays. After touching on the earlier events of Jesus' life, his birth, his ministry, it focuses on the final week in Jerusalem, the Last Supper, Trial, Crucifixion and Ascension. Intertitles throughout demarcate the episodes using the traditional Catholic names, like The Annunciation and The Slaughter of the Innocents.

I really find the film magical, the way it's a cinematic version of what had been done on stage for so long, and also the way it looks like old fashioned Biblical illustrations come to life.

I discovered the film quite a few months ago, and I'm not positive which source I ended up using. But here's the link to a copy at the great site, The Internet Archive:

"The Passion of Jesus"

There are also postings at YouTube, including at least one with the full film.

As for the recording/rendering, I'm glad it works so well for you. As usual, it took longer to mix the project than it did to write the arrangement and record it. Even though there's a basic work flow I always use, I find myself always doing things a bit differently with each project. The particulars of a given piece of music and what I'm doing with it has me adapting my process as needed, trying new things, and always feeling a bit like it's the first time I've ever done a mix.

With this piece, I worked differently than I ever have before. I followed the expert advice DPDAN has posted several times about working with Altiverb. Using orchestral pre-sets online, each section of the orchestra had a different Altiverb program which besides reverb settings also included the instrument panning. It felt odd to me, working this way, and it was an interesting experiment - I stuck with it since I was liking the results. Time will tell if I'll be working that way some more.

Thanks again, Art.

Randy

Hi Randy,

I've noticed during the brief time I'ma member of this beautiful forum that you really have something with 'old' films. It's a great idea to post-synchronise them (or fragments) with your brilliant scores. It certainly adds a present day approach to them and doing so an additional value. You're absolutely a master at it.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Randy! This was very heart warming! The entire arrangement was very creative going through different textures and modulations, and I loved the majestic climax. What Garritan sounds did you use, my friend, and did you add the color in the video? I loved that Mary was blue for some reason.
    ~Rodney
    Hi, Rodney - I'm glad you like my arrangement! I enjoyed all phases of this project, and especially the first phase of improvising and discovering the "chord substitutions" (to use a Jazz term) I liked, and then putting together a structure for the piece.

I like the concept of Frank's new thread in General Discussion, for the Christmas CD contributors to talk about how the arrangements were created. I'll be responding over there, but your question about the instruments I used is a starting point. Here's the list of the 46 instruments I used. If the Library source is other than GPO, I've noted that:

Flute solo KS
    Flute group 2 COMB
    Flute group 3 COMB
    Oboe 1 modern solo
    Oboe 2 modern solo
    E horn
    Clarinet solo
    Clarinet group 1 COMB
    Clarinet group 2 COMB
    Bassoon 1 solo
    Bassoon 2 COMB
    SAM Horn solo KS
    Horn group COMB
    Horn overlay ff
    Trumpet 1 solo - JABB
    SAM Trumpet section KS
    Trombone solo
    SAM Trombone solo KS
    Sam Trom section KS
    Sam Tuba KS
    Tuba Group 1 COMB
    Tympani (in Basic Orchestra Percussion)
    Cymbals
    Middle East percussion WORLD
    Harp up rapid Instant Orchestra
    Harp plucks IO
    Chromatic Harp 1
    Harp Glisses IO
    Celesta
    Glock
    -Pungi Snake Charmer WORLD (the soloist in the final section)
    Stradivari (Solo violin Library)
    Solo 1 KS
    Solo 2 KS
    1st strings KS
    Solo 3 KS
    2nd strings KS
    Viola solo KS
    Violas KS
    Gofriller (Solo cello Library)
    Cello 1 KS
    Cello 2 KS
    Cello 3 KS
    Cellos KS
    Bass solo KS
    Basses KS

It'll be fun to sketch in more of the process I went through over on Frank's thread.

AND you asked the color in the film clips. Fabio was interested in that too - Those color overlays were on the original film!

Thanks again, Rod.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast