• Register
  • Help

Topic: Silent Night from Garritan Community Christmas 2012

Share/Bookmark

Silent Night from Garritan Community Christmas 2012

Hello all!
    This is my Silent Night from the Christmas CD. A bit different from the one that went to the CD in that:
    1) this is not limited by 4 minutes
    2) the arrangement has been improved, the one before had too much vertical and synchronised movement in my opinion, so I think this is a bit better
    3) the strings are from Vienna Symphonic Library (solo string ensemble), everything else is still from Garritan though: timpani, orchestral percussion and glockenspiel

https://www.box.com/s/dkuzri9vh24zy8y0fhvj

Happy listening!
    Sander
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: Silent Night from Garritan Community Christmas 2012

It's not such a conventional 'Silent Night'. It's a night full of contrasts: silent and noisy, quiet and restless, bright and dark... Surprisingly new is the expressive use of percussion in what is a traditionally soft and melancholic Christmas song. A daring initiative, but well succeeded.

Thanks for sharing (here and on the Xmas CD).

Merry Christmas and happy New Year,

Max

Sander, I'm really glad you've posted this alternate version of your Garritan Community Album contribution. When we first listened to the whole album as posted at the Make Music site, my wife and I both were very struck by how wonderful it is to be surprised by a rendition of this perennial favorite carol. It's very admirable the way you've found new drama and poignancy in the source material. I feel you've captured something of the mystery of Jesus' entire life, the joy and turmoil simultaneously, so it's not just his birth that your "Silent Night" refers to, but his entire life, which of course includes the Passion. Creative, engaging work - Thank you!

Randy

Thanks for the comments!
    The whole idea started out a while ago, and the initial concept of this was to try and start the melody on a different note in each verse: in the 1st one it begins quite traditionally on the 5th degree, the 2nd on the 3rd degree and the last one on the 1st degree.. that's something I wanted to try and develop, since going through the verses the same way three times would be a bit boring. And of course, I varied the melody accordingly.. and the harmony of course, which was also something I wanted to do, to find new colours in each verse. Also a goal I had was to try and go with the whole song from a kind of happy, cheerful and festive mood to a very intimate, quiet and silent sound in the final verse. So a linear transition there should be present. And an incentive to give different string instruments their solo moments.
    Everything else is at least.. supposed to be as traditional as possible so that's what I had in mind when composing this I also have the same song for SATB chorus, which is 100% similar, except for the lack of glockenspiel and percussion.
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Go Back to forum