• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Anybody Have A Day Job?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Anybody Have A Day Job?

It would be interesting to hear about some of our day jobs. I apologize in advance if this too OT, but it\'s something I wonder everytime I read posts or listen to the wonderful demos here.
    I suppose some are lucky enough to list composer as their fulltime work.

As for me, I\'m an ERP software consultant helping companies implement manufacturing, financials, inventory, order management,and purchasing software.

Re: OT: Anybody Have A Day Job?

Programmer Analyst with County of Monterey - but about to retire and go back to full-time music-only.

Dasher

Hi Dasher,

I\'ve always heard programmers make great musicians. How fun for you to have retirement in site. With the relatively recent advances in technology, it\'s perfect timing.

Hi Joanne, I run my own Web Development business and by coincidence also have a bit of a background in programming through the web technologies.

I have found that my background in I.T. certainly hasn\'t hurt in configuring and troubleshooting DAW\'s for optimal performance.

I am slowly phasing down my web business (I also run a small publishing business and will keep that going) and am looking to make a full-time transition into music in the next twelve months.

Regards, Scott.

Well, producing samples is partly my day job, but I also massage horses! How about that combination..... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I work as a translator and proof reader at UPC University, Barcelona. I look over the technical papers of all the proffessors and make sure they make sense! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m yet to make a penny out of music, although I made a frame-acurate jingle for an interactive CD-ROM of a graphic design company in return for them making my website. (they haven\'t started yet [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

But yeah, having a day job is very unavoidable at the moment!

I\'m an artist at a computer games developer.
    Another tough career to get going [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

More work than composing tho.

I do music for TV ads and station promos.
    Much easier than my old day job carting a station wagon full of gear from session to session, but you don\'t have as interesting a social life [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi
    I\'m a programmer/analyst and consultant, main
    work area is the ERP system SAP. ( hence my Aka ).

What ERP system(s) are you in to Joanne?

I will certainly also retire like Dasher at some point to dedicate more of my time to music - its really what I like the most. Business programming
    is somewhat dull.

Bjarne

> I\'ve always heard programmers make great musicians.

I think it’s the other way round. I remember when I starting programming, it just “felt” like composing. Different threads of logic and relationship, moving at different levels. You jump on one of those threads and ride it. Suddenly, you’ve arrived at someplace unexpected, and feel like you know something you didn’t realize you knew.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast