• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please help me understand....

Share/Bookmark

Please help me understand....

Will the \"Fatar StudioLogic SL-880 Controller\" be good enough for giga duties or would I
    need something more along the lines of a \"STUDIOLOGIC SL-2001\"? Or should I be looking at something else?

***Do I need 8 zones or is 4 enough?

All I have now is an Alesis QS6, I realize it\'s not enough.

Guys, I just don\'t know what I \"NEED\" ?

Thanks!

Re: Please help me understand....

Thanks Sharmy!

BTW-- What are you using, I forgot to look... it looked expensive though! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

What is my deal today?

double post alert..... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'ve actually used a QS6 for a while as a controller, because it\'s pretty small. If you use any type of control surface for your sequencer, then you really just need a barebones keyboard controller. However, I would definitely recommend 88 keys - it\'s a pain when you can\'t easily get to keyswitches on the bottom octave. I\'m actually on the lookout for a cheap 88 key weighted controller as well....

as far as keyboard controllers, I\'m using a Roland XP-80

works fine for me in most cases. Obviously an 88 note keyboard would be better, but its not essential.

Zones are overrated, unless you\'re an incredibly good keyboard player and you want to compose multiple parts in real time... for my case that would be useless, especially with all the control features in libraries now. One part at a time baby.... unless I\'m in a rush, then its \"full strings\" and \"superbrass\" patch time [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info guys!

Sharm, I guarantee you my wife has it on! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I forgot to tell you, I told my wife that you are also a fellow alum that is very into the Wildcats. She\'s class of 92 (I think).

She lived at \"Scocia\" (sp?)

Go Wildcats! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

KID-

I\'m using a Roland JV-80 with a broken C#3 as my masterkeyboard [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

No seriously, I am.

I don\'t know why, but to me nothing beats the keys of the old rolands.

Can you guys guess what happened to the C#3 key?

It\'s a funny story actually.

When I bought the synth, about 6-7 years ago I had a friend over to show him how cool the onboard drumset was.

He fell in love with the cymbals.

(He did pay me for the repair, but I spent that money buying a new synth (A Roland W-30, anyone want to buy it? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thomas

Yamaha P-300, but I am always open to suggestions. I have liked the Yamaha\'s piano action (closest to my old D7), but after 6-7 years it\'s getting a little wimpy. Anyone suggest a very \'real\' action while still having the controller features we all need (foot pedals, breath, etc.).

Thanks.

Rob

If you want the latest Yamaha action found in the Motif 8 and Yamaha S-90 for cheaps, look at the Yamaha S-08... Exactly the same thing without the after touch... Or so I was told... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I used to have a Roland XP-30 and although the sounds are great, I found it hard to do programming on that (ie program change messages etc) plus I hate those Roland pitch bend/mod stick combos!!! So I sold it, bought a Technics SX-P30 88 weighted keys and a small Evolution controller (MK-225C), which has a keypad to key in program change numbers etc plus decent pitch and mod wheels!!! Works like a charm and I can assess the different programs, patches etc etc really really easily!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

My next edition will be the Evolution UC-33, even more faders and knobs!!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

meeehoonn

EDIT: Oooh ooh!!! And just to add, the 2 octave keyboard on the Evolution is just nice for keyswitches!!! Not that there\'s any problem with using the 88 keys but I can stick permanent stickers on it to tell me which keys switch to what etc etc in GOS eg... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I use the SL-880, It does the job, but i have found the thing to be a little flakey. The keys are weighted which is nice, but it can \'throw a wobbly\' from time to time (the electronics seem a little patchy).

Go Back to forum