• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DIVA Classical Soloists

Share/Bookmark

DIVA Classical Soloists

Hi Everyone,

I just thought that I\'d post my impressions of this wonderful sample library. It is a very beatiful sounding set of samples that can be used in a variety of contexts from spooky and suspenseful to a soft presence of power to sweet and beautiful.

There are two different solo female voices sampled here on this 2-disc set with the focus being primarily on soloist 1. Rather than go into what\'s included in too much detail, I\'ll simply point you to Bela D Media - DIVA Home Page where there are some PDF\'s listing exactly what\'s on the CD\'s.

The voices have been beautifully recorded in both close and far-mic versions. The natural vibrato of each soloist was retained. Extremely pleasing when used as a solo and even when layered, the vibrato seemed to work well. I found that using both soloists when layering worked much better than sticking to only soloist 1 or soloist 2.

Keep in mind that this library is not intended to be a full choir. It is a library of solo feamle voices which really sound sweet. The updated articulations with improved programming is a must as it makes it a bit easier to use with the different keyswitching options (as well as providing more KS options than the initial release).

I would have liked to see each syllable recorded for each pitch rather than only one pitch. But that is just a minor thing for me considering the price and all that is offered. I\'m having a blast using this library and Bela D Media\'s service has been great. I had a problem with one of the articulation files and they resolved the issue for me quickly and promptly providing a new updated articulation file with new instructions. Responses to emails have been very quick as well.

I\'m looking forward to DIVA Extended as well as the other upcoming libraries from Bela D Media.

Hope this helps someone who has perhaps been on the fence a little.

FV

p.s. - I thought that I\'d add also that the .gig files converted without any problem into Emagic\'s exs24 MkII.

Re: DIVA Classical Soloists

Thanks FV. How would you compare Diva to the solo soprano voices on SOV? I\'m thinking of getting one or both libraries. I know SOV\'s solo soprano phrases are fine, but I\'m in the dark about its individual note articulations. Can you shed some light?

To be honest, Diva\'s voices, although extraordinarily beautiful, are a little too vibrato heavy for me. However, I understand that NV versions will be available as an upgrade. I\'m sure that cross-fading between Vib and NV would produce outstanding results.

I never liked the SOV sopranos... Esp not the multisamples - the phrases have been fine but damn over-used. Same goes with solo boy phrases (e.g. used in End of Days)

I\'d suggest to buy Diva. If I\'m not mistaken Diva Extended is going to feature straight tone vowels and will be available later this year. Francis/Dawn, correct me if I\'m wrong [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Diva sounds really beautiful but I agree as far as vibrato goes. *g*

Hi Not Dudley
    (a phrase I never thought I\'d use!)

Articulation-wise Diva\'s quite versatile as long as you except that if you want to get specific \"consonant\" sounds you may have to spread the line over a few instruments.

Generally the attacks are slow (even the marcato samples) but by combining them, the sustained vowels, the moving vowels and the syllables you can get some very convincing moving lines. The keyswitching update has also taken this aspect into a different league.

The sound IS wonderful and it\'s one of those \"How did I live without this\" libraries. Compared to the Sop. samples in SOV... well there IS no comparison to the samples in SOV!!!
    I agree about the SOV phrases (great but over used).. but the straight Sop. solos fall by the wayside compared to Diva... SOV sounds like a good Soprano sample... Diva (in the right hands and with time and effort!).. sounds like a soprano!

Hope this helps

Ty

Hi Not Dudley,

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    Thanks FV. How would you compare Diva to the solo soprano voices on SOV? I\'m thinking of getting one or both libraries. I know SOV\'s solo soprano phrases are fine, but I\'m in the dark about its individual note articulations. Can you shed some light?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I suppose that it would depend on what your needs are. SOV provides more variation in sound palette since it provides male & female choirs, boys choir, gregorian, solo, etc. DIVA concentrates on solo voices. In SOV, IMHO, the soloist patches do not provide enough variety. If I recall correctly, there are less solo soprano vowels, less syllables, less moving vowels, etc. I\'m going from memory a little so
    I may be off but the solo soprano on SOV only takes up part of one CD. DIVA spans two, provides you with multiple vowels, some phrases, syllables, etc.

Having both together would give you a very useful set. If you can\'t afford both at this time, you really have to look at what your needs are and buy what fits your requirements best first.

To be honest, Diva\'s voices, although extraordinarily beautiful, are a little too vibrato heavy for me. However, I understand that NV versions will be available as an upgrade. I\'m sure that cross-fading between Vib and NV would produce outstanding results.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I see the heavy vibrato as providing more character to the set. Yes, the vibrato will bee too much at times but, as you mentioned, the DIVA Extended will have non-vibrator versions. I am hoping that Francis and co. really concentrate on being able to cross-fade between both the Vib and NV versions so that tone, timbre, and pitch are matched closely enough to be able to pull it off. I\'ll suggest it to him.

HTH,
    FV

Originally posted by FV:
    Yes, the vibrato will bee too much at times but, as you mentioned, the DIVA Extended will have non-vibrator versions.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oops! Little slip there. No sense in editing it now. LOL. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

FV

Ahhh...

so THAT\'S why they sound so good!

Thanks Ty & FV.

I think it\'ll be worth waiting to see how the Diva library develops. I certainly think that the NV update will be integral to the overall usability of the set. I am increasingly cautious about libraries these days. If a sound isn\'t exactly right, it can be very wrong. I have a shelf full of unused sample CDs to prove this. That\'s not so much a reflection of the quality of the sounds, but rather on my own purely subjective timbral needs. If it doesn\'t inspire you when you sit down and play, the game\'s up and you\'ve wasted X bucks.

As far as vibrato goes, I prefer a slightly faster and shallower modulation on p to mf lines (difficult to control vocally, I know). I thinks it\'s both more intense and, paradoxically enough, less conspicuously \"vocal\". Deeper vibs for f to fff passages are fine, but the Diva sound belongs to the soft, lyric-soprano dynamic range rather than to Wagnerian fortissimos. Thus the vibs might ideally have been more gentle. But, again, this is all purely subjective.

Chances are I\'ll get Diva. But I think I\'ll wait for the update\'s demos. Amaze me!

BTW, FV, I love a good Fraudian... sorry, Freudian... slip. Anyone who doesn\'t needs their peni... no... sorry... head examined!

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Believe it or not, it was honestly a mistake. I was going to fix it but I just thought it was funny and therefore left it. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

FV

Sorry. Double-post

Go Back to forum