• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ravi Shankar 1920-2012

Share/Bookmark

Ravi Shankar 1920-2012

I read that Ravi Shankar died recently.He was kind of the beginning of world music as he introduced a very different music form to the western public on a large scale. Ravi Shankar has been quoted about his story of a concert in the USA where they were tuning up and then the audience applauded. He told them if they enjoyed the tuning that much just wait until they actually played some music.

I had the pleasure of seeing Ravi Shankar and his orchestra when they were touring with George Harrison & Friends back in the early seventies. It was a wonderful experience.

Phil

Re: Ravi Shankar 1920-2012

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I read that Ravi Shankar died recently.He was kind of the beginning of world music as he introduced a very different music form to the western public on a large scale. Ravi Shankar has been quoted about his story of a concert in the USA where they were tuning up and then the audience applauded. He told them if they enjoyed the tuning that much just wait until they actually played some music...
    Yes, when he died this week, I had to stop and reflect on what a huge impact he had. Even though traditional Indian music has a rich history, a vital part of India's culture - people my age cannot help but think of that golden era in the late '60's, early '70's here in The States, when the Sitar was almost the continuous sound track to life. I instantly think of burning incense, of wearing tie-dyed T-shirts, Indian fabric billowing from ceilings, and, of course, of getting high. The sound of Shankar, his Sitar, his band - that was simply the sound of the era.

That's a very famous moment you're referring to - when the audience went wild just from listening to Shankar's band tune up. The crowd was so supportive, so eager to embrace the music - but hey, they were American kids - the droning of those Indian instruments tuning up really Did sound a lot like the actual music itself. hehe - That whole thing is captured in a record - I think it's one of the Woodstock discs? I've been intending to dig up some Shankar to play in tribute to the man - I'll see if I can find the disc I'm talking about that has that famous moment you mentioned.

Ravi - shine on!

Randy

Hi ...

Yes, Randy and Phil, since we all seem to be of the same age group, I too was swept up in the entire wave of Indian sub-culture that Ravi's music brought to us. I mean, let's face it, on this side of the pond, who really knew anything about India before this occured? The culture door opened full when Harrison and Mike Love of the Beach Boys embraced and publicized their love and fascination with all things Indian. Fantastic the power of music!

And in case anyone doubts that good musical genes can go a long way, look how talented and original his daughter, Nora Jones, is.

Good call, Randy: Shankar's music was indeed a major component of 'The Soundtrack Of Our Lives'. Drone on ...

RIP

Frank

people my age cannot help but think of that golden era in the late '60's, early '70's here in The States
    Yes, very strange times, college time for me (1966-70--filled with Shankar's music.

RIP.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Go Back to forum