• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Perfromance Set - as a complement to other libraries ?

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

VSL Perfromance Set - as a complement to other libraries ?

Being unable to afford the complete VSL library, and having invested in GOS & Dan Dean .. I was wondering whether the VSL Perfromance Set would be a good complement to for legato and repetitions.

Has anyone bought just the Performance Set ?

Would it mix tonally with the other libaries ?

And the $64k question, does QLSO have any \"legato tricks\" up its sleve, and would this be a better value proposition at only $2k ? (I can already hear the screams \"WAIT AND SEE! .. a little patience already\" ;-)\"

Re: VSL Perfromance Set - as a complement to other libraries ?

WAIT AND SEE! A LITTLE PATIENCE ALREADY!

LOL

I\'m only posting to let you know that it\'s 3k, not 2k.

Good luck choosing!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: VSL Perfromance Set - as a complement to other libraries ?

Originally posted by andyt:
    Being unable to afford the complete VSL library, and having invested in GOS & Dan Dean .. I was wondering whether the VSL Perfromance Set would be a good complement to for legato and repetitions.

Has anyone bought just the Performance Set ?

Would it mix tonally with the other libaries ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Can\'t answer anything about QLSO. I heard one French Horn patch when talking on the phone with Nick a few weeks ago, and it sounded great. Never underestimate how things sound over the phone, haha. I have a friend I work with in LA quite a bit, who has this uncanny ability to make mix decisions (which are usually correct) over the phone!!

As far as VSL performance set instruments blending with other instruments, that\'s a yes and no proposition. VSL can take a LOT of mix manipulation and hold up extremely well. The situation you\'ll face is that VSL is extremely clear and present due to the design of the room and mic plot. The instruments aren\'t necessarily in your face, in fact they\'re recorded with more distance and \"air\" than has been the popular assumption. However, they have literally almost no noise floor. So, one aspect of mixing with VSL is learning how to relate that extreme quiet to samples captured in noisier environments. What I\'ve discovered is that my ears \"think\" I\'m in balance when in fact the VSL instruments are dialed in a little hot.

Other than that, I have found mixing the different libraries to be a pretty successful technique. I like to vary things up, and I almost never sit down with a preconceived plot or instrumentation for that matter. I sketch out my lines for a roadmap, then orchestrate rather improvisationally. If you\'re looking to create a \"seated\" orchestra that\'s consistent across your work, you may have different results.

Go Back to forum