• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thoughts on simultaneous EXP and VIB control?

Share/Bookmark

Thoughts on simultaneous EXP and VIB control?

I think it would be ideal (though maybe difficult) to have some samples with both EXP and VIB control, accessible via a wheel. Unfortunately I think Gigs only support one mod wheel. Are there any other kinds of solutions for this? This would be great for strings and winds especially.. it would be cool to play a flute solo and change the dynamics smoothly AND add/remove vibrato at will.

Is this possible?

Re: Thoughts on simultaneous EXP and VIB control?

Sam, I think a wind controller can do this. Certainly the breath pressure and expression, not sure about vibrato. (I\'d be surprised if you couldnt control vibrato) Bruce has one, maybe he can confirm.

I have heard of composers using one to record string parts to \"breathe more life\" (pun intended!) into the recording.

Cheers, Scott.

Its impossible inside Giga Studio alone , if you\'re talking about REAL vibrato.

It is possible with MArble tools and correctly programmed Gigs, or Yellow Tools Keyswitch (i believe), or Building blocks, or a logic environment.

This is about SEPERATE controllers BTW. If you jsut want the Modwheel to go from piano Non Vib to Forte Vib, its possible.

Assuming you\'re talking about pitch LFO and volume control (and not crossfading from non-vib to vib layers), you need at least two things:

1. Patching in Giga that lets you route one controller to multiple destinations.

2. The ability to SCALE the effect of the controller at each destination. If you don\'t have scaling control you end up with a situation where,say, you can hear the vibrato coming in before you hear any crescendo. With scaling, you can much more accurately balance how much of a controller affects each destination.

My guess is that this will be in V3. more flexible controller routing was high on the wish list.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Sam, I think a wind controller can do this. Certainly the breath pressure and expression, not sure about vibrato. (I\'d be surprised if you couldnt control vibrato) Bruce has one, maybe he can confirm.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You can, but it\'s a \"real McCoy\" experience in that you control it with the embouchure and airstream. Frankly, I have always found it almost impossible to control well, even at very conservative sensitivities (problems like pitch center going everywhere, etc.) so I turn it off.

I think the future of this kind of expression is found more in the behavioral modeling of dynamics mapping, i.e., making certain dynamic levels go certain places because that\'s what they naturally tend to do--then providing seamless alternatives that tend to do the opposite. If Giga 3 comes through with a radically expanded mapping/dimension structure, this kind of behavior would be easily programmable (although the session costs will just about triple for any given instrument).

Go Back to forum