• Register
  • Help

Topic: About tuning

Share/Bookmark

About tuning

Hi,

I used a nice tool called Chromatia Tuner (Very not expensive from FMJ-Software) to tune my strings in my Giga Prosonus library.

But I realized that my Giga AO strings are tuned to +10 cents beyond 0...

What should be a tuned instrument ?

Where is the truth ?

SergeD

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: About tuning

Back when I was playing in real live orchestras, the saying was: When in doubt, tune to the loudest guy.

When in doubt, tune to the loudest guy. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Bruce,

I guess it\'s the smart way to go.

SergeD

Serge

I think when AO was recorded, the orchestra was tuned to A=443hz which is the European orchestral standard. My maths is poor but the tuning offset might be to take it to A=440hz?

According to the booklet included with the full (Giga) set, AO was tuned to the 440 Hz standard. Are you referring to the tuning of the recordings or the articulations (individual instruments)?

The \"The Orchestra Collection\" (Giga Prosonus) booklet suggests that the library is tuned between 432 Hz and 456 Hz using a sophisticated fractal algorithm invented by captive dolphins and several unemployed Longshoreman [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Dave,

The AO Giga is tuned to the 440 Hz standard as written in the booklet.

Peter,

Well, there are no tuning in regions or properties of the instruments.

Craig,

The \"The Orchestra Collection\" (Giga Prosonus) booklet ?

I scratched under the cover of the package and did not find any. Where did you get this ?

-----------------

The Strings art files are not so bad.
    They are key switched like AO library (Dimension keys C2-G2). The regions are also set like AO.

I could leave the art files on a Web Site if somebody give a place to leave them.

SergeD

I should have metioned that I have the audio CD version of AO which I sampled myself years ago when I was too poor to buy the CD ROM version. It was all way out of tune and at the time I\'m sure they told me it was because the orchestra was tuned to A=443 when the samples were recorded.

My point was that maybe this is why there is +10 tuning offset in the Giga version to take it to A=440hz

Originally posted by Serge:
    Craig,

The \"The Orchestra Collection\" (Giga Prosonus) booklet ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Just kidding. I can;t imagine why a company would want to go to all that work and not include a description of their samples. Ah well.

I could leave the art files on a Web Site if somebody give a place to leave them.
    [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Don\'t get me wrong, Prosonus has some great samples and is a true bargain. I was just disappointed in the original tuning and though the re-tuning was an improvement, it was still not very complete, IMHO.

Yes, if you have .art files it would be a great service to make them available. I do not have web space though. Could you e-mail them to me if no one volunteers? Thanks Serge!

[/QB][/QUOTE] Could you e-mail them to me if no one volunteers? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Leave me your e-mail and you\'ll get them.

SergeD

Go Back to forum