• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rain on the Prairie, End of the Drought composition (garritan,finale)

Share/Bookmark

Rain on the Prairie, End of the Drought composition (garritan,finale)

short composition inspired by steve reich, eberhard weber, pat metheny/lyle mays, bill frisell

Re: Rain on the Prairie, End of the Drought composition (garritan,finale)

Very nice, definitely Steve Reich inspired!

Thanks for sharing

Max

I like it! The images go along nicely with the music. Thanks for posting this. Jay

hey, thanks, appreciate the positive feedback.

Welcome to the Forum, Rusty "tchaikovsky87" - I love it when newcomers step right into The Listening Room and share some music. Thanks much for that.

Soundscape, minimalist mood pieces haven't been posted very often, so your piece is standing out by that attribute alone, and I applaud you for it. Your approach to this Steve Reichian, impressionist sound is fresh and sparkly. Very enjoyable. It's fun to have visuals accompanying your work also.

I notice your Finale rendering doesn't suffer from the problem heard fairly often, which is too much reverb. The default settings in Finale seem to be with reverb at 100% wet, which of course is meant only as a starting point. So I can see you understand how to set reverb how you'd like - My own personal reaction is that the rendering could actually use a bit more reverb to help give it more airiness, but it's not as if your rendering is faulty.

Thanks so much for posting -Now, I hope you stick around and get involved. There's a lot of music from your fellow members here, and of a wide variety. Have fun listening and posting replies. And be sure, also, to look in on the General Discussion Forum - that's where most of the activity is, where discussions on any and all topics are posted.

Randy

Lovely! What is the instrument(s) that enters about 1:24, mainly on the right? I probably would have given this a touch more reverb, but then, reverb is in the ear of the beholder. Nice work!
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Hey Randy, im glad you liked it. Very cool forum, by the way. I look foward to checking out these original works posted here and looking into the technique, tutorial forum. Im pretty much a novice when it comes to mixing the sound of the midi playback - in terms of reverb, do you suggest i add some to the whole mix ( i guess from within finale) or for just certain instruments (piano, etc) from within the aria engine?

thanks alot for the helpful feedback

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Lovely! What is the instrument(s) that enters about 1:24, mainly on the right? I probably would have given this a touch more reverb, but then, reverb is in the ear of the beholder. Nice work!
    thanks! glad you like it : the instrument at 1:24 that you're referring to is, i believe, a synth patch from within the finale print music soft synth. I added that along with a sitar and percussion patch due to the sonic limitations of having only the GOP without Jazz Band, World Sounds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky87 View Post
    thanks! glad you like it : the instrument at 1:24 that you're referring to is, i believe, a synth patch from within the finale print music soft synth. I added that along with a sitar and percussion patch due to the sonic limitations of having only the GOP without Jazz Band, World Sounds, etc.
    Oh. Cool! Very nice blend.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky87 View Post
    Hey Randy... in terms of reverb, do you suggest i add some to the whole mix ( i guess from within finale) or for just certain instruments (piano, etc) from within the aria engine?...
    Open ARIA, and in the Effects window, choose one of the reverbs. I would recommend you experiment with one from the Convolution reverb if your version of ARIA has that, otherwise, use Ambience. Then in the Mixer window, turn the Sends up a bit for each instrument. You probably won't want to turn the knobs past the 12 o'clock point.

If you'd like to simulate a 3D sort of effect, the theory is easy - the farther away an instrument is from the listener, the more reverb. Just subtle differences between the Sends is all you need. Use less on bass instruments, because the bass frequencies can pile up in a reverb and add muddiness.

That would be a fun experiment for you to try, and there's no need to fret about technical theory - just listen to the results until the music is sounding less claustrophobic and airier.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast