• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The more I listen to VSL demos...

Share/Bookmark

The more I listen to VSL demos...

The more they blow me away.

My friend works at Sweetwater. The VSL team did a demo there, and he said the legato floored him.

Re: The more I listen to VSL demos...

That\'s just the thing. Some demo\'s are truly spectacular while others sound a bit like a new and slightly improved...Proteus. I still wonder how well ones programming and mixing skills should be before getting the best of results.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Isn\'t that true of anything? Just because you buy the best basketball in the world doesn\'t mean you\'re suddenly Shaq. Just because you have a pencil doesn\'t mean you can write.

I think a lot of people have this delusion that great samples should mix themselves. Just the opposite (QLSO included!!). The better the samples, the more they\'ll expose your production skills for better or worse. If you don\'t have the ear to balance those mics in QLSO, you can make a flat, mushy recording that sounds like it was recorded in an airplane hanger. Conversely, I have heard people produce world-class music on AO. That\'s not to say that today\'s libraries don\'t make life easier...they do. None of them will mix themselves. Or compose themselves. Or orchestrate themselves. I\'m still looking for one that squirts scotch and gives hummers, though.

The thing is, being a producing musician has two parts. Producing and musician. People think they\'ll be OK with only the latter, but that\'s not going to compete in today\'s market. You\'re against too many people who have both in abundance.

People should learn to mix. I\'m always super-appreciative when I write a mixing how-to, and people come back and say it really connected the dots for them. But I would be writing for two years to even touch upon the number of mix decisions a person has to make in a single pop song!! That\'s not going to be learned by listening to me spout a few pointers, but by hard learning and sacrifice of loads of time.

So, of course the quality of your results depends upon your professionalism as a producer. That is a given. Samples don\'t do a thing except give you a tool with which to display your talent. Or not.

Alex,

Please post links to the demos that you think sound like an improved proteus.

I sure have not heard any of those.

That\'s just the thing about the thing...everyone was worried that these new uber-libraries would somehow make Joe Shmoe sound like John Williams, and so far that couldn\'t be any farther from the truth.

The guys who who sounded great before now sound amazingly great. The guys who sounded average still sound average. Kinda encouraging for the super snooty types who worry about their \"art\" being cheapened by the great unwashed masses like me...I try to bathe regularly but it just doesnt seem to help...

I think the more intricate the libraries are, the more one has to rely on their talents as a mixer/producer/arranger/orchestrator to make them sound as good as they can be.
    -Hudson

Originally posted by ed hamilton:
    Alex,

Please post links to the demos that you think sound like an improved proteus.

I sure have not heard any of those.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, I won\'t name names for reasons so obvious. But I\'ll try to explain it in a different way. A member of this forum has written a review about VSL and somewhere in that article he states that if you listen to the dry samples, they sound wrong! I think that\'s the thing. Which reverb and how much reverb seems to be terribly important for VSL to sound good or not so good. This might prove troublesome if you put your instruments in a closed miked intimate cozy chamber setting.
    Bruce, I know this has always the thing. But it looks like being a good mixer/producer/midifier is more crucial now than ever. Hey, that\'s what you said, Hudson. Look!
    I think the more intricate the libraries are, the more one has to rely on their talents as a mixer/producer/arranger/orchestrator to make them sound as good as they can be.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">------------
    Alex Cremers

By the way, I wasn\'t picking on the QLSO product by citing it...it\'s just a good example of an opposite approach to VSL that is similar in scope, all else being equal.

The point remains that a great musician can blow your mind with a duck call and a cardboard box. You can hand a mediocre musician a Strad, and he\'ll make you want to kill yourself (or him, whichever is faster).

This IS incredibly reassuring. Art means something. Talent and hard work mean something. There\'s no shortcut. You can\'t buy it off the shelf.

I´ve read somewhere there´s an incoming VSL update with raw talent samples. You need 2 gigs of RAM though [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A member of this forum has written a review about VSL and somewhere in that article he states that if you listen to the dry samples, they sound wrong!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t think that\'s an accurate assessment. The first time I heard a single sample on their website (in the \"team\'s favorite samples\" section) I was immediately gassed. This is exactly the sound that you hear in the control room in a high-quality studio session...clear, clean, full-bodied, and malleable into whatever you need it to be.

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    But I\'ll try to explain it in a different way. A member of this forum has written a review about VSL and somewhere in that article he states that if you listen to the dry samples, they sound wrong! I think that\'s the thing.------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well then, [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] maybe first listen instead of think or quote what others write. I have heard demos from VSL demo makers before any reverb was applied and the library absolutely does NOT sound dry.

Go Back to forum