• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Has there ever been a decent Purrrfect Drums demo??

Share/Bookmark

Has there ever been a decent Purrrfect Drums demo??

Has there ever been a decent Purrrfect Drums demo anywhere? If so, where?

I\'ve seen a lot of hype about this library, especially when it first came out, but have never heard the samples prominently in any decent demo. They used to have a demo on the Studio Cat site, in which the drums _ especially the snares _ sounded sort of tone-modulely and lame. There\'s the Bardstown jazz piano demos that use Purrrfect Drums, but they don\'t reveal much about the drum library. If you listen hard, you can just barely hear some tinny, time-keeping cymbals.

It\'s puzzling because I\'ve seen so, so many complimentary things about this library from many high-profile, accomplished members of this forum. I\'m sure there must be a decent demo out there somewhere, possibly even one that i\'ve already heard but wasn\'t aware that it was using Purrrfect Drums. Anybody?

regards,
    Arch

Re: Has there ever been a decent Purrrfect Drums demo??

Sorry, I don\'t know why this post showed up as three new threads.

Originally posted by Arch Stanton:
    Sorry, I don\'t know why this post showed up as three new threads.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t know if this means you are still wondering...

The answer is, as far as I am concerned, no. There has never been a decent demo of Purrrfect Drums. But it is as good as people say. The cymbals are amazing. The snares and kicks (but especially snares) are still also great, though it took me a while to get used to them... there is not a ton of variety to choose from, and the sound of them has not been to everyone\'s liking. Still, the library is absolutely fantastic.

Yes, still wondering and still considering buying them. But I won\'t buy them \'til I hear the library in at least one revealing, convincing demo.

All the other sample libraries that people rave about eventually end up in all kinds of demos, not just marketing demos but demos of people\'s composing, midi mock-ups, etc. But with this library, I\'ve heard nothing. That makes me nervous when spending that kind of cash.

If you want to hedge your bets, you can buy just the cymbals. For what it\'s worth, I\'ve got the whole set, and it\'s amazing.

JWink, vanceen _ or anybody else, for that matter _ are either of you in a position to post any examples anywhere?

thanks,
    arch

Quoting KingIdiot from another current thread ...

I really hope some user demos change my mind on the current crop,...and I hope it doesn\'t turn into another \"puuurrrfect drums\" thing, where every demo I hear makes me go \"people like this library because......?\".
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So it\'s not just me? Not trying to spread negativity here, I\'m desperately trying to FIND a demo that is both revealing and complimentary for this library, because if it sounds good, I\'m sure I\'d buy it. It\'s exactly the sort of thing I\'d like to have. But, I haven\'t heard it sound good yet.

Anybody??

thanks,
    Arch

While not a demo, the following description of the hi-hats in Purrfect Drums may help people understand the level of detail in that library. The following is a response to something I posted on another forum.

Bill Cunningham
    (bcunning@boxtops.com)

===================================
    On 7-Apr-2003, william cunningham <cunningham@usitc.gov> wrote:

> Purrfect Drums will not disappoint!

Very, very true! The beauty of Purrrfect Drums is that they are done dry
    with mutliple layers and respond very well to the way you want to process
    them. Lesser samples don\'t sound natural when EQ\'d and compressed, but PD
    sound just like a kit that you miked up your self. A number of people have
    been put off by demos that others have done, but I can pretty much guarantee
    if they had the set and used them in their own music, the same people would
    be able to get the sounds they want.

Just take the hi-hat cymbals for an example. Most kits give you three
    articulations of different types of hits (open, closed, foot), and if your
    lucky you might get a couple of velocity layers. PD uses at least 16
    different articulations, closed tight, closed loose, 1/4 open, 1/2 open,
    fully open, etc. He also includes variations using the tip of the stick or
    with the shaft... and naturally, there are left and right strokes of each of
    these. Every individual note has multiple velocity layers (8 or 16
    depending on which drum) and the crossfades were planned very well. Similar
    technique was used for the snare, left and right hits with regular hits, rim
    shots and side stick shots. If you work with it, you can get some very
    dynamaic drum parts. It also has some simpler kit arrangements that sound
    great and are a bit quicker to get set up and going, but I prefer to use the
    full dry kits and spend a little bit more time getting things to sound more
    dynamic.

Arch Stanton, you\'re not out of line in the least in your request. this Purfect drums has been a mystery to me as well and I have never heard a demo i liked either.

I just recently bought Drum Kit From Hell simply because the demo was so convincing compared to anything I\'ve heard. I only ordered recently and haven\'t received DKFH yet, and can\'t verify whether the demo over did it or not.

But with Puurfect drums, a few demo that people feel are truly outstanding doing the library justice would be welcome. In fact if so many people are convinced the kit is great, they must have used the drums in a number of works. Why not just solo the drum kit and post an example.

Marty, yeah, I agree. Though, even pointing to an example where the drums are used in context and can be heard would be fine. That doesn\'t have to cost anybody the extra effort of stripping out the drums to a solo track. Also, examples where the user has used EQ, compression, reverb, or whatever, is FINE. I just want to be convinced the drums can sound good.

I\'m sure that people must be using these drums, based on the highly positive comments I\'ve seen. But where?

regards,
    Arch

Go Back to forum