• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: seven children (classical)

Share/Bookmark

seven children (classical)

This was originally a guitar piece and I translated it over to JABB electric piano. I think the electric piano sounds good in this type of setting. Tell me what you think.
    Jay

www.jesse.us.com/children.mp3

Re: seven children (classical)

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    This was originally a guitar piece and I translated it over to JABB electric piano. I think the electric piano sounds good in this type of setting. Tell me what you think.
    Jay

www.jesse.us.com/children.mp3
    I think you're right, Jay - This does sound very nice with the JABB electric piano. That's a nice sample set with real body to it. I can certainly understand that this was originally a classical guitar piece - I think it's possible I'd prefer the airiness of a guitar on this elegant little exercise more than on the weightier E piano, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy this recording - I did very much.

Randy

I'm with Randy on this...the EP is cool, but I'd also welcome the lighter, aerier sound of the guitar.

For a real trip, try it on harpsichord. The tune has a bit of "baroquishness" about it that might translate to the harpsichord, and the harpsichord would give a tone closer to, but still different from, the guitar.

You could also experiment with different stops in different sections, which neither the guitar or the EP could do.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Randy! Thanks for responding. I absolutely agree with you that this would be more effective on guitar, but there is not a Garritan guitar sound that works for me. To my ears, the E.P. is the best sound that I can muster up from the available Garritan samples.

Snor! The E.P. is a heavier sound than I would like but the JABB acoustic guitar just does not cut it for me. I guess I am being a little picky, but if it is to be a classical guitar sound, it should be with nylon strings and some rudimentary articulations.
    Thanks to you both for listening and commenting.

Randy! Thanks for responding. I absolutely agree with you that this would be more effective on guitar, but there is not a Garritan guitar sound that works for me...
    Hi, Jay - My post was an observation, not a criticism. The recording sounds just fine, and from your new post, I completely sympathize with your lack of enthusiasm for the JABB acoustic guitar. DPDAN explained awhile back that a very good guitarist was employed for the sample session, but they had to keep the samples so short and simplified, it really doesn't add up to a virtual instrument that holds up in solo. I've used it a few times for rhythm chords in projects with a lot of tracks, but otherwise, I have other alternatives, like several choices in Cakewalk Dimension.

I always enjoy your work, Jay - So thanks again for posting this.

Randy

Real nice Jay!

I love your classical offerings and this one is just beautiful.

I think there is a solid foundation in your jazz arrangements because of your classical knowledge. It's pure jazz, but your sense of form, harmony and development benefits from your classical side. And, in this classical piece, there is a hint of your jazz sensabilities here and there. You're blessed to be able to move effortlessly between the two worlds. Not many can do that (Marsalis, Sandavol, and Claude Bolling are modern favorites who come to mind, and interestingly, also write besides being stellar instrumentalists).

I have this one downloaded for future listening and car trips ... really enjoyed it ... thanks!

Frank

Thanks for the re post Randy! I did not take your response as a criticism. I know that makemusic/garritan have a lot going on so I don't expect to see a nice acoustic guitar sample anytime soon. To bad.

Frank! Thank you very much for the nice words. I try to experience writing in different genres. I enjoy the challenge. There are a few styles that I just plain don't like and I avoid playing and writing in them. So as not to offend anyone, I won't mention what those styles are. It is always appreciated when you respond.

Thanks for the input guys. Jay

Hi Jay,

This is in my ears a very lovely classical piece of guitar music. The piano sounds well and performs the score delicately, but still, I would prefer the original. There are many good classical guitar libraries out there, some built in in notation programs (like Notion), but I'm sure you will find one that suites your needs. I understand that a good guitar player can't be satisfied with half-baked samples, but it is certainly worth trying to find better libraries.

Thanks for sharing this little beauty.

Max

Good to hear from you Max. I am glad that you liked this. I own two very good nylon string guitar libraries and they work very well. Since they are not garritan products I can't post the original guitar pieces here. The electric piano (though much less delicate in sound than guitar) produces a reasonably good balance of sound for the guitar pieces.
    Thanks for the listen and comment. Jay

Good to hear from you Max. I am glad that you liked this. I own two very good nylon string guitar libraries and they work very well. Since they are not garritan products I can't post the original guitar pieces here. The electric piano (though much less delicate in sound than guitar) produces a reasonably good balance of sound for the guitar pieces.
    Thanks for the listen and comment. Jay
    I thought we can display our music here, wether or not it is GPO. At least I did with the consent of some moderators.

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast